• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you drive with your kid(s) in the car?

seansuth

May seem like an odd question to ask, but do you drive with your kid(s) in the car? If so, how old are they? Toddler? 5-8? 10+

Looks like I may be picking one up soon(knock on wood) and I'd have my daughter(she'll be 2) in the back seat every now and then. It wouldn't be used as a daily driver, maybe have her in it once every 3-4 weeks or so, but want to make sure it'd be safe enough to have her in the backseat in her car seat.

For those that have had their children in it, please be honest if you had any doubts or pros/cons.

Thanks all!

Edited by seansuth

The rear lap belt is not really sufficient IMO to hold a large baby seat even though our Peg Perego had provisions for it.  I held off until my kids were in boosters and even then I keep it local (low speeds) with them in the car.  We cruise the shore a lot in the spring and fall since we live a stones throw from the beach.  The kids love being able to see the world around them thanks to the large greenhouse.  Plus they think it's cool since it is more "their size" than our daily drivers and other cars/suvs on the road these days.

boy:3 3/4 y/o

girl: 6 3/4 y/o

Greg

I drive with my 5 year old in the back pretty frequently using a set of rear shoulder belts and a booster seat. I think the '02 is basically as safe as any small car up through the late 90's / early 2000's. New cars are obviously much safer, but if you drive the 2002 reasonably and only a couple times a month in the summer I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If you're a bit apprehensive (as I was) you should look into getting a really high quality car seat - at 2 years old she should be just about ready for a harness booster seat like the Britax Pinnacle. Get a good set of rear belts from BlueDevils (member on the forum here) and IMO you're good to go.

its your kids...but..

keep in mind that 2002's are not even close to as safe as cars made in the mid seventies and later.

no crash modelling, no testing, primitive structural crush zones.  i have cut several of these things up, and have seen them after they have rolled in a crash.  roofs just get flattened.  the metal used is shockingly thin in key places. the A, B and C pillars in particular.  and that was when they were new...now they all have internal rust and have been used for decades weakening the metal through all the flexing.   the seat belt anchors are not the best.  nothing in the doors to absorb a hit.  they were safer than some cars of their time, but safe construction was not a key factor in the design..... and pales by comparison to even slightly newer cars.

they are great vintage cars...but...

i wouldn't put kids in the back (or front) seats of a 2002.  i know folks do it, but not worth the chance to me.  i wouldn't even use one for daily driving.  don't stand a chance against even the most mediocre new econobox in an accident...let alone one of the bazillion SUV things that dominate the roads today.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

When my son was 5-10 years old he sat sideways in the back seat of a 68 280sl (lap belt) as we did our yearly trip from So Cal to Yosemite.  It was a blast....and the issue of safety rarely cross my mind, but it was there.

He is now 28 ....still alive.  I now have two younger teenage kids and the boy loves to go on old car runs.  This weekend we were doing 90mph in the 2002tii with a bunch of other  beamers in the back country of Ojai. ...I guess I was not setting a good example. 

Now that I am much more mature...I think... I think about it more.   If its a car gathering meeting....or old road car trip...yes, I would do it again.  But if its just routine trips going to the store and I can drive in  a safer car, then I would.  Accidents will happen....How much risk do you want to take? 

Then, I remember when my dad would just put me in the back of his 57 Chevy to run around without seat belts.

So... to answer your question....no I do not think it is a safe thing to do and if you have another choice of cars, I would.  At two years of age the only one who is going to enjoy that ride is going to be you , so why take that risk. A two year will not appreciate a 2002  ride, so if something were to happen can you live with yourself knowing that you had another option.    If they were older and going to some car event....then I would take that chance because it  is part of the family experience. 

My daughter, on the other hand,  there are days that I could put her on the hood of the car or roof of the car.....no seatbelts.  If anyone has teenage daughters.....need I say any thing else?  

IMHO...Abe..

....and as daddy use to say.....do as I say...not as I do.

ChrisFinal 142.jpg

Edited by abe2002tii

1 hour ago, mlytle said:

its your kids...but..

keep in mind that 2002's are not even close to as safe as cars made in the mid seventies and later.

no crash modelling, no testing, primitive structural crush zones.  i have cut several of these things up, and have seen them after they have rolled in a crash.  roofs just get flattened.  the metal used is shockingly thin in key places. the A, B and C pillars in particular.  and that was when they were new...now they all have internal rust and have been used for decades weakening the metal through all the flexing.   the seat belt anchors are not the best.  nothing in the doors to absorb a hit.  they were safer than some cars of their time, but safe construction was not a key factor in the design..... and pales by comparison to even slightly newer cars.

they are great vintage cars...but...

i wouldn't put kids in the back (or front) seats of a 2002.  i know folks do it, but not worth the chance to me.  i wouldn't even use one for daily driving.  don't stand a chance against even the most mediocre new econobox in an accident...let alone one of the bazillion SUV things that dominate the roads today.

Well now I feel like a bad parent :(

1 minute ago, Redtail said:

Well now I feel like a bad parent :(

Car safety standards improve year on year. Should we be immediately be switching cars? Should we feel bad about selling it on to the next sucker that risks their family's life in it?

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

10 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

If you want it to be completely safe ,then put in a cage. I am considering it. I just ordered rear three point seat belts for now. 

Hmm cage means that everyone needs to wear a helmet and be 4 point strapped into the seat. Head injuries from cages are no joke. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

23 minutes ago, Simeon said:

Hmm cage means that everyone needs to wear a helmet and be 4 point strapped into the seat. Head injuries from cages are no joke. 

Exactly....There is a reason manufacturers never sold cars with roll cages in them...it may not be safer.  Smaller accidents that won't total a car may have enough force to throw a passenger into a very unforgiving piece of steel that lives in the passenger compartment.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

I survived 3 years in a Datsun 710, no seatbelts, 8 years in a '65 chebby pick up, no seatbelts,

and 3 years (the chastity was hell) driving a chebby Monza.  Mostly drunk.  In high school.

I wouldn't put the kid in the back seat of a 2002 and try to commute into Seattle from Everett every day.

I wouldn't hesitate to put him into one and drive out to the beach, up into the mountains, or south to North Bend for a milkshake.

My risk assessment.  Every parent must make their own.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

As an interest point, I checked with my government insurance provider (SGI, little different than the rest of the world) regarding a child in a booster seat in our cars. 

Better to have in them front seat with a shoulder belt with out air bags, than in the back with only a lap belt (with or with out a booster seat).

And yes, my 6 year old and I go for random short trips, even with highway speeds.  I know brakes and steering/suspension are as good as then can be (short of replacing all parts weekly). 

Yes, each year cars get safer(mostly).  No, we haven't replaced our 10 year old cars for newer/safer models, but still leave the safety of our house with her in these cars.  Nor have I put 3" plate steel over my house, on the off chance a meteor falls.

I'd like to think my heightened sense of awareness with my child in the car keeps us safer. 

That is all for my mini rant.

Night all

Allan

This is all super helpful, I completely see and understand all sides of this predicament. I wouldn't be doing highway speeds with her in the car, more so cruising on the weekends around town, getting bagels Saturday morning, etc. I would certainly be driving it more, but not as a daily driver.

My wife and I have another car that she uses daily and with another baby on the way, I think we'll need another one. There are many reasons why I want a 2002, but I don't see spending money on a newer used car as a good investment? Of course there's a bunch of reasons to buy a newer used car, but by buying a classic car,  I feel it'll hold value over the years as long as you take care of it.

Thanks again!

9 hours ago, Dudeland said:

If you want it to be completely safe ,then put in a cage. I am considering it. I just ordered rear three point seat belts for now. 

This is tongue in cheek humor, right?

Bob

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3