• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shop recommendations - full body restoration

Jason Gorfine

I'm ready to pull the trigger. I completed the front/rear suspension/brake/steering restoration/upgrades a while back. The laundry list for that project is too long to list here. Know that it goes all the way down down to new screws/bolts/washers. Huge thanks to Patrick O'Neil at (well really, he is) Midnight Motorsports for all his work/help throughout that effort.

I have the following in boxes from BMW:

• left/right front fenders
  • trunk floor
  • rear panel

The rest of the body is good to go (hooray for desert cars!), aside from the 43 years of dings and whatnot.

Where should I send my wonderful old unibody for a full restoration. I'm talking down to to bare metal, maybe a dip in modern rust preventatives, and all the teeny body cleanup, before a really nice paint job caps the voyage?

And what can I expect it to cost(ish)? KNow that i'm fine stripping all the parts off myself. I may even take the front/rear suspension off, if it'll help.

Thanks in advance.

-jason

Give Patrick another call. I think he will be able to steer you in the right direction based on your budget. There is a shop in Bellevue that he has mentioned in the past that has done some pretty good work. Worth a try.

Mike

I've started to dream/plan for a long-term restoration and talked to Patrick at length about this. It all comes down to time and money. Note that I haven't used any of the options below, just sharing what I'm considering.

Patrick recommends Eurotech in Bellevue. That's a top shelf shop so expect to pay top dollar. I wouldn't expect to walk out of there for less than $10-15k for what you're hoping to do. 

http://www.eurotechbodywerkes.com/www.eurotechbodywerkes.com/Eurotech,_Autobody,_Porsche,_Repair,_Collision,_Restoration,_Kirkland,.html

My Datsun 510 friend recommends 101 Autobody on Aurora Ave. Way cheaper and great for a daily driver level car. I wouldn't expect concourse level work, but you get value for what you pay for.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/101-auto-body-seattle

Another option is to ship it down to Tijuana, Mexico like Jrhone did. Check out his website:

www.project2002.com

One last option I'm considering is to reach out to a vocational school or community college program. They're often looking for class project cars and probably the best value for the budget conscience. Downside is that the car will be gone for at least an entire semester and you'll have non-professionals learning their trade as they work on your car. 

Hope that helps and good luck!

James

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

That definitely helps.

$10K-$15K is fine. I've basically been budgeting a new VW Golf for this particular stage, anyway. In words on the immortal Hunter S. Thompson, "If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing right." And while he was referring to a drug-fueled bender, I think the principal still holds.

-jason

• Like 1

Good call Mike, any northern shops you'd recommend? I'd like to add that to my list as well.

James

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

Hey James

Here is one for sure http://jellybeanhotrods.com/38bmw.html they are a high end shop that has a few Pebble Beach winners. This 1938 BMW 327 I believe was one of them.... a real beauty. 

There is a shop in Bellingham too that does some good work. They did a nice job on Scott McCreey's car a couple of years back. Patrick may have the info unless Scott does not chime in.

The guy that did mine I would recommend as well but he is relocating to Vancouver Island to his new home based shop. He too has had a couple of Pebble beach winners. Pretty well known in the (British) Morgan Triumph Jaguar clubs up and down the west coast.  I will check with him to find out if he is looking to take on new work. It maybe not until the New Year. I know he is busy at the moment.

I'll keep you posted.

Edited by joysterm

3 hours ago, joysterm said:

Hey James

Here is one for sure http://jellybeanhotrods.com/38bmw.html they are a high end shop that has a few Pebble Beach winners. This 1938 BMW 327 I believe was one of them.... a real beauty. 

There is a shop in Bellingham too that does some good work. They did a nice job on Scott McCreey's car a couple of years back. Patrick may have the info unless Scott does not chime in.

The guy that did mine I would recommend as well but he is relocating to Vancouver Island to his new home based shop. He too has had a couple of Pebble beach winners. Pretty well known in the (British) Morgan Triumph Jaguar clubs up and down the west coast.  I will check with him to find out if he is looking to take on new work. It maybe not until the New Year. I know he is busy at the moment.

I'll keep you posted.

The paint came out quite nice on your car. I have been admiring it the last couple times I stopped in to check on my car.

Looking forward to seeing your interior when it's finished as well. Cool to see someone doing something different.

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

• 2 weeks later...

EuroTech? Set an appointment with him to look at my 200tii. Drove all the way to the eastside and he looked at the car and told me he'll give me estimate via email.  Never heard from him despite email followups - must not be in his clique.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:49 AM, Russell74Fjord said:

had work done at  Eurotech, I don't recommend them, contact me offline if you want to discuss. They CAN do good work, I just did not have a good experience.

I'm curious since I was thinking of having them shoot the color on my car...

1971 BMW 2002 Sahara

• Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors