• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help appraising uncle's 02?

lobf

Hey guys- 

My uncle has the family's old '02, bought new in the 70s. He'd like to unload it, and I'm considering taking it, but we're not sure what fair market value would be to buy it from him. 

He sent me a bunch of photos, link here: http://imgur.com/a/E3S7D

Can you guys help me figure out how much this thing is worth? Are there any questions I should ask him, or other photos I should request from him? 

My dad and I got it to run a couple of years back, so there's that at least. 

Let me know what you all think, thanks so much! 

From the pictures it's either a late '70 or an early '71--six fuses and the "sport" steering wheel means it's probably a '70.  Looks like it's been sitting outside for a looooong time--surface rust on the horizontal surfaces and under the hood are the giveaway--there even appears to be a rust hole in the middle of the hood, and the trailing edge of the trunk is also perforated.  There's visible body damage all along the driver's side.  Look like it's been off the road since 1992.  Wouldn't a CA buyer have to pay all that back registration to license it?

The real question is the amount of rust on the underside.  If it's been sitting in a shady area where it's damp, the underside is gonna be really rusty, to the point of holes in the floor and structural rust on the subframes and body reinforcements.  You need to get underneath and check that out.  There are a lotta little things either missing or broken too.

And running a few years ago doesn't necessarily mean running now... 

Presuming the underside isn't hopelessly rusted and the engine will run, it's probably worth saving.  Someone from the rust belt would probably jump on it, but would most likely scare off a California (or other dry state) buyer.

I'll let someone else come up with a value--they're different in OH from CA.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Hard to determine the extent of the rust although it appears there is a lot of surface type. You will need to determine how far that goes to the critical areas, A & C pillars and mounting point for the frt. and rear sub frames, floor pans, rockers and frt. fenders etc.  The rear towers look like they maybe OK but the fronts may not be lucky. All can be addressed but metal work is very costly and this alone will help determine a fair value or wether you need to take a pass. That said you should expect some damage to some if not all those critical areas. 

It appears to have some after market goodies like the headers but you will need to have a closer look at the rest of the car.  With all that and based on the general condition of the car which I think is pretty rough.  I would try to stay less than 3-5K unless there are other factors that may or may not increase its value.

One other recommendation you may want to to consider and obtain a copy of 2002 Restoration Guide by Mike Macartney it is a very good resource if you are serious about the restoration

I  hope this helps somewhat 

Good luck....Mike

edit:  Apparently my ass was out a mile here......will be more mindful  with my comments in the future.

Edited by joysterm

24 minutes ago, mike said:

From the pictures it's either a late '70 or an early '71--six fuses and the "sport" steering wheel means it's probably a '70.  Looks like it's been sitting outside for a looooong time--surface rust on the horizontal surfaces and under the hood are the giveaway--there even appears to be a rust hole in the middle of the hood, and the trailing edge of the trunk is also perforated.  There's visible body damage all along the driver's side.] 

Yup- when we went down to try and start it up, I poked that hole in the hood by gently placing my finger there- the thing is rusted to shit. There's lots of body rust. 

Look like it's been off the road since 1992.  Wouldn't a CA buyer have to pay all that back registration to license it?

Yeesh, never heard of that one, I'd hope not. Fortunately, I can register it in Oregon. 

The real question is the amount of rust on the underside.  If it's been sitting in a shady area where it's damp, the underside is gonna be really rusty, to the point of holes in the floor and structural rust on the subframes and body reinforcements.  You need to get underneath and check that out.  There are a lotta little things either missing or broken too.

Cool, good to know what to look for, we'll be back down to check it out in a month or so, so we'll check that. 

And running a few years ago doesn't necessarily mean running now... 

True, but the last time it ran before *that* was probably 20 years prior. I think we could coax some life into it again. :)

Presuming the underside isn't hopelessly rusted and the engine will run, it's probably worth saving.  Someone from the rust belt would probably jump on it, but would most likely scare off a California (or other dry state) buyer.

I'll let someone else come up with a value--they're different in OH from CA.

cheers

mike

Heh, okay then. Thanks for the tips on what to look for, I appreciate it. 

11 minutes ago, joysterm said:

Hard to determine the extent of the rust although it appears there is a lot of surface type. You will need to determine how far that goes to the critical areas, A & C pillars and mounting point for the frt. and rear sub frames, floor pans, rockers and frt. fenders etc.  The rear towers look like they maybe OK but the fronts may not be lucky. All can be addressed but metal work is very costly and this alone will help determine a fair value or wether you need to take a pass. That said you should expect some damage to some if not all those critical areas. 

It appears to have some after market goodies like the headers but you will need to have a closer look at the rest of the car.  With all that and based on the general condition of the car which I think is pretty rough.  I would try to stay less than 3-5K unless there are other factors that may increase its value.

One other recommendation you may want to to consider and obtain a copy of 2002 Restoration Guide by Mike Macartney it is a very good resource if you are serious about the restoration

I  hope this helps somewhat 

Good luck....Mike

Thanks Mike-

I do have a copy of that book, in fact, I forgot about that! 

I also noticed the front towers there- I asked him to send those photos specifically. They don't look like they're in super shape. 

I'm surprised at the 3-5k mark. I was honestly thinking this thing was more in the 1.5-2k range considering the shape it's in. 

6 minutes ago, lobf said:

Thanks Mike-

I do have a copy of that book, in fact, I forgot about that! 

I also noticed the front towers there- I asked him to send those photos specifically. They don't look like they're in super shape. 

I'm surprised at the 3-5k mark. I was honestly thinking this thing was more in the 1.5-2k range considering the shape it's in. 

I think you are closer to what the value of the car represents  given a second look at the pics.  I should amend the price having said that.

Edited by joysterm

3 minutes ago, joysterm said:

I think you are closer to what the value of the car represents but given a second look at the pics.  I should amend the price having said that.

Sorry this got confusing at the end- you're saying you think my evaluation is more accurate or not? 

This is not a $3-5K car

This is a $1500 car. It needs everything, from engine rebuild to major metal work, interior, all mechanics etc. You are basically selling a VIN# or a parts car IMHO

1973 2002Tii Agave "Gerta"-----1972 2002Tii Verona project-----------2003 Porsche 911 X51-------2016 FIAT Abarth--------2003 Porsche Boxster----------2005 Honda Element

And achman may be being optimistic, depending on a closer look at the rockers. floors, firewall and rear shock towers.

Best,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I'm from BBQ/Jazz end of the Rust Belt and I haven't paid more than $500 for '02s  in better shape than this in the last 2 years.  The visible body/rust damage alone is formidable.  There's rusted through holes under the hood on the inner fenders!  On the positive side, if its been sitting for as long as you say then it might have a low mileage transmission and differential (if condensation hasn't taken its toll on them).

FWIW

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

The question you have to ask, do you have the 10-15K and 3 years to invest in it.  If you don't then walk away.  I just got a accident free and rust free CA car with a recent paint and still once you are done with the body and the interior, both of which were well above average, then you have tons of $ to get rubber in it. 

M

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002