• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bumper Bolt Stripped inside Frame Rail

Splinter

I am attempting to remove my front bumper on my 1970 2002.  The bolt just spins freely inside the frame.  I can't figure out how to the access the head of the bolt so I can hold it to remove the nut.  Before I cut off the bolt or destroy the threads by grabbing the end with vice grips, I wanted to see what your experience may suggest.  My repair manual just states "simple remove the nuts"...not so simple.

Thanks in advance for your help.

stripped bumper bolt.MOV

IMG_3815.JPG

1970 Polaris BMW 2002 - 5 speed

DD: 2013 BMW X5 5.0 M-Sport, M-Performace

They are blind carriage bolts with round heads. You need to find/borrow a nut splitting tool from a local mechanic, had the same problem a few years ago.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

If I remember correctly those bolts are carriage bolts,  there is a square section under the head of the bolt.  This square section fits into a groove on the frame rail which locks it in place so you can tighten or loosen it.  To remove or install the bolt there is a round section at the end of the slot.  Hope this makes sense.  

I had a similar issue with mine. I managed to free them both  but at the expense of having to replace them. I used a pair of vice grips on the exposed thread, some heat and a rust inhibitor to break the nut free. You will likely break the carriage bolt but you may be able to loosen the two far enough so it will allow you to slide the assembly far enough forward to find the slot in the frame. 

A real PITA to say the least.......

If you can get one of 'em off, then you can drive a thin chisel between the bracket and the frame rail to put extra tension on the remaining carriage bolt head.  That might be just enough to allow removing the nut without spinning the carriage bolt.  If that doesn't work and you don't have access to a nut splitter, use a Dremel tool and a cutoff wheel to cut through the nut 'till you can remove the mangled remains.  Amazingly all four of mine came off after 30 Ohio winters!

And...when you go to replace, use stainless steel bolts and nuts.  You (or the subsequent owner) will thank you in years to come.  If you can't find metric ss fasteners at your hardware store, try a marine supply house (like West Marine), or just use SAE bolts.  

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Just trying to install one of these early front bumpers was difficult to me since my 69 didn't come with one.  Getting the brackets aligned with the slots and fender rubber grommets is a tough job.  Kind of like installing the "towel-bar" bumpers on a pre-68 VW Beetle by yourself.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

3 hours ago, jgerock said:

Just trying to install one of these early front bumpers was difficult to me since my 69 didn't come with one.  Getting the brackets aligned with the slots and fender rubber grommets is a tough job.

Jim, the trick is to install the brackets (with rubber grommets) first and don't snug up the bolts.  Then assemble the bumper blade sections and bumper guards, again without fully tightening the bolts.  Finally align the bumper blade so it's parallel to the bottom of the grille opening and tighten everything up.  Much easier than trying to install the bumper as a unit (ask me how I learned this!)

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite