• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002tii Engine Oil Cooler

What's the general consensus? Worthwhile or waste of money? Fresh engine overhaul. Schrick 292, custom pistons 10.5:1 ratio, strictly for the street and too much traffic to really drive fast. Doubtful that it will ever get a thorough flogging for any length of time. Would like to add an Accusump though, that I believe is worth it.

Install an oil temperature gauge first and if the temperature is not over 210F, the cooler isn't needed.  Too cold oil loads up with water.  It takes at least 170F to get rid of the water.

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Accusump is overkill for a street car. We've run over twenty 24-hour endurance races in a tii without an oil cooler or Accusump. If your cooling system is up to snuff, you're good to go. An oil cooler is one piece of road debris from being an oil sprayer. An Accusump requires frequent maintenance and attention. It's very useful in a racecar, but a racecar receives maintenance and attention each time it goes on the track. That's a nuisance that will soon be ignored on a street car, or it will likely become a reason not to drive your 2002. Been there, done that, strongly recommend against it. 

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

Step 1- yuppers, temp gauge.  And I'd say 230 is the upper limit, even for dino oil.  260 for proper synthetic.  Or whatever your oil manufacturer recommends, of course.

Step 2- oil pressure gauge.  If you're losing pressure in turn 2, an Accusump will be able to help with that.   Otherwise, agreed with William, it's complexity without (much) benefit.

All those ads about 'startup wear' are misleading-

it's really 'cold wear'.  The bearings in an internal combustion engine

are designed to hold plenty of oil for getting the oil wedge started when

you start the engine.  A sump sure won't hurt- but it won't pre- lube the

cylinder walls...  unless, of course, you have squirters!   Which you don't.  I bet.

Accusump is ok for what it is- I'm not sure what maintenance it takes,

I've only run 2 or 3 for the last 15 years- 

but it DOES introduce a lot of variables into checking your oil level!

I ran one on a track rat daily driver, and the only problems I had

involved the oil pump pressure relief valve on the pump jamming when cold,

but the valve on the Accusump functioning as designed...

Do spring for the electrical valve- it's also a return fill restrictor, so that when

your oil pump catches oil at the EXIT of turn 8, most of the flow goes

back to the engine, NOT towards the sump.  

things I've found,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

There is absolutely no rational reason for an oil cooler in a relatively stock street tii like yours.  That said, it looks really cool and I've installed one on virtually every '02 I modded. 

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '92 M5T (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

More importantly, how is your Tii running with this setup? Still running the stock pump? I had my stock radiator recored and my Tii ran and the perfect temp.

1972 Tii

1997 Land Rover Defender LE #127

18 minutes ago, Adamha said:

More importantly, how is your Tii running with this setup? Still running the stock pump? I had my stock radiator recored and my Tii ran and the perfect temp.

It will be awhile before it's running. Beginning a resto on it now, starting with eliminating rust. After that, complete suspension overhaul & steering, then reinstall engine and trans, refurbish interior, overhaul brakes, get her running. I ordered an aluminum radiator from Ireland Engineering.

see my tii here.