• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DB bumper holes?

realgone

Hi guys,

Just got myself a 1976 2002, and I am very excited about it.

High on the list of things to do is a bumper conversion.

The body is rust free, the paint is decent, and the car is very presentable as it is. 

I don't want to paint the car for a few years but I would like to the bumper conversion.

So my question is this: What are guys doing about the mounting holes for the big bumpers when they switch to chrome bumpers?

Do they need to be welded shut, or is there another solution to protect the car from rust and to prevent moisture from entering?

I know I should probably just do it all in one go, but the paint is pretty good for the time being and the bumpers are tragic.

When you remove the big bumpers, you're going to have to fix the paint where the rubber parts of the 76 bumpers touch the car. No way around it. 

If you want to go with the simple hole filling method, you can use painted press-in grommets, and you can fill the bumper shock holes with either modified grommets or rubber, taking care to bond them using a product like Marine Goop to keep water out. Or you can weld them up and repaint as Ken suggests. I like Ken's method best, but my welding skillz aren't as good as Ken's, so I went with the painted grommet approach for the small holes, and made covers for the bumper shock holes out of painted steel plate, which I then screwed into the stock rubber grommets that surrounded the bumper shocks, and bonded them in place with Marine Goop. I repainted the rear panel as part of the bumper conversion.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

Sadly, I didn't photograph my process. I performed it over the course of several weeks in fits and starts. The end result looks like this.

IMG_6727.JPG

IMG_6718.JPG

IMG_6729.JPG

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

Suggestion for the large holes in the front:  use 'em for driving or fog light mounts.  Buy some pipe of the appropriate diameter, bolt a length into each hole and cap the outer end (for appearance).  Then drill a hole in the outboard end and mount your driving or fog lights to the pipe.  Use sturdy pipe to avoid the lamp vibrating.  Since your chrome bumper will mount several inches below the holes for the OEM bumper, the pipes will clear the chrome bumper. 

At the rear, your new bumper will be tucked in close enough to the body so the large shock mounting holes won't be visible.  You'll just need to plug 'em to prevent water intrusion.  

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 2 weeks later...

I documented my bumper conversion in a long post here, it even includes the plug sizes and part #'s I used til I got around to having the holes filled: https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/131947-body-work-paint-bumper-conversion-frame-rails-wheels/?page=6

Go to page 5.

Scott

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg