• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

02 cv joint

Hey guys,

I'm selling a few spare parts here locally, when going through these parts I noticed a different type of cv joint than the ones on my 02.

My car came with the regular flat ones, not these stepped cv joints. I got these from a family member and if I recall correctly he had a 1802?

Could someone give me some info about when each joint was used?

IMG_20170510_142839_zpsnqeptowa.jpg

I believe the stepped ones are from an early 02 and the strait ones are from the later 02s......or it might be the oposite....in any case the earlier CVs look different than the later ones, but they do fit the same.....this I do know  

14 hours ago, 2joejoe2 said:

I believe the stepped ones are from an early 02 and the strait ones are from the later 02s......or it might be the oposite....in any case the earlier CVs look different than the later ones, but they do fit the same.....this I do know  

You could be right. 

6 hours ago, Hans said:

are the bolt holes evenly spaced?

I havent checked that one out yet! I'll have a look today

4 hours ago, Simeon said:

I think @rapandi had some issues with stepped CV joints recently. 

Now that you say this, I remember him making a thread about these, but isn't he using a E12/E21 LSD diff?

16 minutes ago, jgerock said:

My 69 2002 had the stepped joints. I put new joints on the 69 axles together with 74tii trailing arms on the 69 subframe with a 73 diff! Mixing and matching worked ok for me.

So these are the cv for the early 02s if I understand correctly?

Earlier 2002s had an outer flange that centered the CV on the flange.

Later 2002s did not.

When they changed, I have no idea...  maybe when they went from nuts to threaded flanges?

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

20 hours ago, D.martijn said:

You could be right. 

I havent checked that one out yet! I'll have a look today

Now that you say this, I remember him making a thread about these, but isn't he using a E12/E21 LSD diff?

So these are the cv for the early 02s if I understand correctly?

Yup I do have the same exact ones and I kind of ran in to a problem with mine (my stuff up). I started looking for a used pair and I did end up finding a pair relatively close by. I am running a LSD which is why I had to stick to the same type and style of stepped CV joints. The reason for this is because of what @TobyB mentioned above. These stepped CV joints are designed in such a way that they have a inner lip which helps centre the cv on the flange. The newer ones don't have this centring lip. So if I ever have to go to the newer or later CV joint types then I will have to fabricate different spacer rings to fit my LSD (I think?).

However mine is a 1972 tii and my CV joints are original factory....

Raj 

Raj

1972 BMW 2002 Tii - Golf Yellow

2 hours ago, rapandi said:

Yup I do have the same exact ones and I kind of ran in to a problem with mine (my stuff up). I started looking for a used pair and I did end up finding a pair relatively close by. I am running a LSD which is why I had to stick to the same type and style of stepped CV joints. The reason for this is because of what @TobyB mentioned above. These stepped CV joints are designed in such a way that they have a inner lip which helps centre the cv on the flange. The newer ones don't have this centring lip. So if I ever have to go to the newer or later CV joint types then I will have to fabricate different spacer rings to fit my LSD (I think?).

However mine is a 1972 tii and my CV joints are original factory....

Raj 

Ah, ok. I get it now, thanks for clearing that up! 

The very early CVs had an asymmetrical bolt pitch. 

Fiddled with that for you- 

I think that changed in 69- maybe even with the length of the neck on the diff.

The early shortnecks had a dual- pattern flange drilling, but used symmetrical CV's.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL