• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New To BMWfaq

Noel Saubers

SCAN0002.thumb.JPG.98115db485277fd50a41fae9256fcc06.JPGWell, back in Wisconsin so I can start getting my tii running correctly.  First thing I did when I got back based on a thread from this forum was to get the birth date of my 72.  The person in Germany responded the next day and now I find out that my car was born on 12/23/71 and delivered to New York on 12/30/71.  The car is titled a 72, so my question to the group......is it a 71 or 72?  I have also tried to get pictures on to the website but alas, no luck.  The site keeps telling me that the file is too large but my computer says it is under the size requirement.  I will go with bad input equals bad output.  Next set is to ask my 24 year old son nicely to assist his old man.  If you see a picture later today, he helped.  Next I will order the parts needed for a good tune up, took notes from above responses ( recommendations for best place on58c30c95d0a1a_BMW2002047.thumb.jpg.54250386953a26241cd3874e19a1c276.jpg one stop shopping) and will get the car out of storage in two weeks.  Still cold in Wisconsin with some salt still on the roads.  I did the picture by my self........but I will still get help from the younger generation.

DSC03327.JPG

Beautiful car, Noel!

Take some pics of the interior also!

Did you tell us the VIN?

U.S, tii's began with 1972 model year.

Steve and Dave at blunttech can help with almost all your parts needs. sales@blunttech.com. You can also look at his website, blunttech.com 

Cheers,

Edited by ray_

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Very nice tii Noel.

I think conserv Steve and others have stated before that US model year production begins in September of the prior year, which explains why your 12/'71 build date equals a '72 model year.

For the tune up, I haven't seen a compression test suggested. Your engine is probably barely broken in after the rebuild, but it would be nice to know that nothing is amiss with the basic engine. Many searches ago, it was written here somewhere that a proper tune up goes like:

basics - compression, oil, air filter, etc.

mechanical - valve adjust

ignition - timing at all speeds, distributor condition, spark, etc.

fuel control - start fussing with the fuel injection after all the above are sorted out.

Good luck with it!

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

Welcome. As mentioned in some of the other responses the biggest impact on getting my 74 Tii running well was to replace every rubber hose in the system with new. This got me to the point of being able to adjust the system to run pro properly. I chased issues for months. Now the car is running great and is stable. Good luck. Lots of good advice and history on this forum.

Beautiful car, Noel!  As Jerry already mentioned, the U.S. model years generally began on or around September 1 of the preceding year.  U.S.-spec tii's began their production with the 1972 model year, actual production beginning in early October 1971.  And tii production numbers were relatively small during the first three months.  My VIN-vs-manufacturing-date "cheat sheet" shows VIN 2760156 being manufactured on December 17, 1971 and VIN 2760321 being manufactured on December 28, 1971.  So I'm guessing your car's VIN may be 27602xx.  This actually makes your car a very early U.S. tii: note that 2760001 was the first U.S. tii built.  Kindly share the VIN.

Cars went by ship to the U.S., taking 6 to 12 weeks to go from factory to retail dealerships.  The reference to December 30th and New York is solely a reference to Hoffman Motors, headquartered in New York City, assuming ownership of the car, along with risk of loss and potential for gain.  Thus, they're not referring to a physical delivery to New York City, simply a legal delivery to a New York-domiciled corporation.

Do you know any of your car's history, e.g., where it might have been delivered?  None of this data was maintained by BMW until BMW North America assumed the role of sole U.S. importer at the end of 1974 or beginning of 1975.  Alternatively, an original window sticker will tell the story as will maintenance records or notes/stampings in the original Owners handbook.

That's all for now!

You'll get your car either fully sorted, or noticeably better, by listening to the experience of the forum's members!  Welcome aboard!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

the vin number is 2760293 and was sold to the first owner in Racine, WI at Import Motors of Racine.  The window price was $4,554.80 and came with additional items such as anti freeze for $3.55 add on.  I also have the original window sticker and am the second owner, original owner was an engineer at SC Johnson and I bought the car in 1992.  Have been slowly doing thinks to get the car in current shape over the years.  Most recent was the engine rebuild which brings me back to my problems today.  No pictures of the inside until car is out of storage.  Car is currently a 5-speed with the transmission coming from a 3 series.  4-speed is tucked away in the basement.  The 5-speed makes the car perfect on the highways, would recommend to anyone.  But back to the engine......based on a conversation with another person they recommended that I replace my fuel pump.  Looked around and the cost to rebuild was $350 plus so I bought a new fuel pump from a west coast vendor and they told me that this would fit perfectly.........not.  You can not believe the hassle with getting this to fit (jury rigged) and the west coast vendor was perplexed, would be a nice way to put it.  At the end of last summer the brake light would pop on from time to time telling me that I was low on fuel.  Will have to sort this summer, part of the jury rigged fuel pump..  Also the car has always run hot, in the past have replaced the thermostat, had the radiator cleaned out, etc, etc.....until finally was going to replace the radiator.  Again talked to a different west coast vendor and bought a new radiator that was not stock and they promised me that I would NOT have to drill any holes.  You guessed it, needed to drill two holes on the drivers side and remount the fuel filter.  Could not bring myself to drill into the car so the radiator sits unused and could not be sent back.  Anyone need a brand new radiator?  Another reason that I have given up on trusting vendors and going to ask people that will not be able to send their kids to college on my dime.  Sorry about the rant but have tried to do things myself or asked knowledgeable vendors for their expertise and done with that.  I now know that there is another way once I found out about this forum.  You guys WORK on YOUR own CARS and know the things to do and not.  Looking forward to truly getting to know my own car.  Thanks again.

18 minutes ago, Noel Saubers said:

Could not bring myself to drill into the car so the radiator sits unused and could not be sent back.  Anyone need a brand new radiator?  Another reason that I have given up on trusting vendors and going to ask people that will not be able to send their kids to college on my dime.

1.  Take pix & list dimensions of the radiator in a For Sale thread in the Classifieds.

2.  Introduce yourself to Steve & the crew at http://BluntTech.com = knowledgeable 2002 (and other models) parts vendor in your neck of the woods.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

You;re still in the right place. Or... finallly! ;-)

There used to be a list of trusted vendors on the website here but I think it has vanished with one of the recent format updates.

A couple to trust are: blunttech (BMW OEM and aftermarket parts, and the proper knowledge to go along with that).

La Jolla Indep (mostly a repair shop in San Diego, and also selling parts online. Carl Nelson there has probably forgotten more than most people know about 2002s)

And neither would ever sell you a radiator which would interfere with the unique-to-tii fuel filter/bracket without informing you.

And as you have seen, the board is a tremendous resource. And it's likely that 95% of the challenges you have or will encounter with the car have been discussed and solved here in the past.

Have a good weekend!

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

13 hours ago, Noel Saubers said:

the vin number is 2760293 and was sold to the first owner in Racine, WI at Import Motors of Racine.  The window price was $4,554.80 and came with additional items such as anti freeze for $3.55 add on.  I also have the original window sticker and am the second owner, original owner was an engineer at SC Johnson and I bought the car in 1992....

Wow, Noel!

Very early tii.  Rare and desirable Golf.  Original window sticker.  Genuine two-owner car.  "Teething" issues WILL be resolved: one at a time.  Excellent.  Thanks for sharing.  Please post your window sticker some time.  It's probably a bit akin to the attached...

You probably don't need more references at this point, but I'm also a big fan of Steve (Blunttech) and Walloth & Nesch.  And, oh, most importantly, this forum!

Regards,

Steve

IMG_3173.JPG

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Noel,

Welcome to the monkey house, to quote Kurt Vonnegut!

I'm in the middle of restoring my first BMW, also a Tii. The forum here is invaluable, but Steve at Bluntech is the man. He not only has everything you may need, at decent prices, he won't upsell you, sell you wrong parts or steer you astray. Plus, you can ask (in my case) dumb questions and he'll help you out.

The fuel pump thing is a topic unto itself. Some of us use new 5 series pumps, while others use in tank 3 series pumps. Steve and I just went through this conversation and I'm going to do the 3 series pump. Not cheap.

The radiator should be just fine if it isn't leaking. You say you had it tested and cleaned out, so why change it? I'd go after hoses and the thermostat again or maybe even the water pump. I hear those babies fail in 2002's a lot. Thermostats can be bad right out of the box too.

Good luck my friend. Turn on some tunes in the garage..it makes it all go better. BTW, gorgeous car!

Nick

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS