• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New To BMWfaq

Noel Saubers

New member to this site but a long time owner of 2002's, also not really savvy to forums as I am a 62 year old novice in this form of communication that thought he new a lot about the 2002 but finding out he does not know as much as he thought. Please assist me in working with the forums and about addressing question or even looking up prior threads, there is a lot of information on this site and it is intimidating.  First car I learned to drive was a 1968 1600 and first car I bought was a 1969 2002.  Currently own a 1972 tii since 1992, hence my joining of the club as I am at wits end on how the car runs.  Had the motor rebuilt 4 years ago and the car has not run well since.  Taken the car back to the shop numerous times to get it back to running like before.  Nothing seems to work, idles to slow, idles to fast, added a switch for just starting the car for extra fuel, added a new fuel pump (another bad story about buying from a known BMW vendor over the phone), just does not run well very, sluggish.  Like the Austin Powers movies, it's lost it's mojo.  The fuel injection was not rebuilt at the time of the engine rebuild but am I at that point and everything I hear about the fuel injection scares me.  Don't have a money tree in the back yard so I must solve this in my garage with my tools as I am tired of going to shops that sort of fix the issue or charge a lot to try and fix.  Any suggestions as what to do as I don't want to send the injection out to be rebuilt at a high cost and several months only to find out the mojo is still gone as well as another summer.  I live in the snow belt and the car is currently in storage so summers lately have been working on the car and not driving and I just want to drive the car any place-any where while my knees still work.  Thought now would be a good time to start getting my tools in a row before the car is brought out of hibernation.  Any ideas would be appreciated, Noel  Pictures of car to follow as I try and figure out how that part od the system works.

Welcome Noel, please add your location to your profile so we can better help you.

The injection system is pretty simple and as long as the pump is working properly it is a very reliable system. Components that make up the fuel delivery system ie, K-Fish pump and throttle body need to be synched & the linkage rod lengths all need to be set correctly. There are special tools for locking the K-Fisch pump and setting the throttle body. There is also a jig for setting the 2 85mm linkage rods. Once those items are set the car should be in the acceptable range of performance or at least in the ball park. Here is a Tii training video from around 1974 http://www.2002tii.org/kb/59

http://www.rogerstii.com/bmw-2002tii-turbo-fuel-injection-set-up-tools-1971-75/ 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-2002Tii-85MM-Kugelfisher-Fuel-Injection-Linkage-Tool-88886135040-/162193128277?hash=item25c376bb55:g:TJ8AAOSwFnFWEeZ0&vxp=mtr

Hope these links and info help you be less fearful of your Tii.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Welcome Noel. How are the basics with your car?

compression test / Leak down test?

valve clearances?

distributor? How is the advance working? Timing set as per book or ear? Is the 'ball steady'?

Vacuum leaks? Hose to brake booster?

The Kugelfischer is a thing of wonder and there are a lot more knowledgeable than me on here. Hold your fire and they will be right here to help. While you wait maybe revisit the list above as these are all crucial as well as getting the complicated piece of German mechanical engineering to work. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Hi Noel, and welcome! You're doing good so far!

More info on the car and what's been done, first.

Valve clearances in spec?? Timing? 

I think I'd look at the above (and what Andrew suggested), and then try to source an AFR gauge and check that air/fuel ratio. 

It's quite possible your timing is misadjusted, or the advance springs in the distributor, or the distributor itself needs attention. 

The tii specific articles here may be of help also: https://www.bmw2002faq.com/articles.html/technical-articles/engine-and-drivetrain/

Let us know more, and I hope you get the tii sorted quickly!

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

12 minutes ago, Simeon said:

Welcome Noel. How are the basics with your car?

compression test / Leak down test?

valve clearances?

distributor? How is the advance working? Timing set as per book or ear? Is the 'ball steady'?

Vacuum leaks? Hose to brake booster?

The Kugelfischer is a thing of wonder and there are a lot more knowledgeable than me on here. Hold your fire and they will be right here to help. While you wait maybe revisit the list above as these are all crucial as well as getting the complicated piece of German mechanical engineering to work. 

Hey you! Quit typing faster than me!

:D

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Thanks for joining us Noel!  Happy to hear from another tii owner.  As mentioned above, getting the basics is key to making the tii run - but other factors will make it run poorly.

1) Don't use platinum tipped spark plugs.  NGK BP6xx seems to work the best for most folks - even better than the Bosch "Super" plugs.

2) Carefully inspect all hoses for vacuum leaks.  To me, the main hose to cause issues is a cracked hose between the KF pump and intake plenum.  It is buried and will cause massive issues when you are trying to get the car to idle.

3) make sure the valves are adjusted properly on a cold engine.

4) Incorrect or worn out distributor will cause lots of headaches. 

5) Poor quality or worn out spark plug wires will cause issues.  The Bosch "lifetime" wires seem to be sub-par to me. 

More help can be on the way - don't get discouraged.  If I can work on one, so can you.

Jim

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Hi Noel. Welcome!

I also own a '72 tii. Purchased it 2 summers ago and have been sorting it out ever since.

It's very doable, if you don't mind doing some reading on the topic. As I was new to working on vintage cars, I was also intimidated. With some experimentation, you will get to know what makes the tii run well.

As stated above, one of the best purchases is to get an air-to-fuel ration sensor. Takes much of the guessing out of the equation.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'

On 2/19/2017 at 8:40 PM, Noel Saubers said:

Please assist me in working with the forums and about addressing question or even looking up prior threads, there is a lot of information on this site and it is intimidating. 

You came to the right place, Noel.  Welcome.

The search box in the upper right corner of the screen works pretty well.  The default mode is set to search for the terms you enter in the TITLES of previous posts.  You can click on the little arrow there and select  ALL CONTENT and it will typically bring up more 'hits'.

Another searching option is to click on the magnifying glass (to the left of the search box) and use the GOOGLE search feature.

This usually gets the most hits.

What I like to do is to scroll down the list of matches and click on the ones that look promising, using the mouse's roller as the clicker.

This will bring each one up in a new tab, while keeping the list tab open as well.

Adding or subtracting one word in your search query can make a huge difference in what comes up, so it pays to experiment a little.

Adding photos to a post has gotten easier.  I don't have any experience doing it from a phone, but I use a little camera that takes an SD card.  I put the photos in my computer (by inserting the card) and then simply click on choose files...   below; then click PICTURES, followed by the appropriate folder, to find the ones I want to share.  A double click on the particular photo will load it onto the site.  (it's fun)

Tom

Edited by '76Mintgrun'02

Welcome to the '02 fraternity/sorority.  If you can find a copy of Mike McCartney's second 2002 restoration book, it has an extensive section on how to troubleshoot/tune a tii injection system without all the factory tools that the shop manual describes.  I believe his book is still in print; it's definitely worth reading.  

And don't be afraid to ask questions of the forum members; there's a huge reservoir of knowledge here and folks are happy to share it with fellow owners.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Lots of good advise above,start with a good tune up, check that the k fish pump is timed right and all the small linkage pieces (plastic bushings and cups) are there then  go through the set up adjustments in the guide, the shanks of drill bits will work in place of the adjustment pins if you don't want to wait for the tools to come.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I first want to thank everyone for the suggestions related to getting my car back on the road like it should be.  I have taken a lot of notes and made a list of the items to buy once I am able to get the car out of the car farm (that is what the kids have always called the storage location).  Usually it comes back to the house in mid April (after the Mid-America meeting for 2002's that each year I say that I am going to attend - #1goal.....I will be there in 2018) but this year mid-March based on snowy weather and amount of salt one the road.  I will work on getting pictures on the progress and each step taken.  I feel great about having a knowledgeable group of guys and women (just being fair to all gender groups) that I can reach out to with questions that are not interested in padding the repair bill but getting another 2002 back on the road so they can finally flash their lights at another 2002.  Thanks again as I am excited about this summer and the tii and keep your suggestions coming.  Noel

Edited by Noel Saubers