• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water Divider Temp Sensors

72ITB

I have an E30 water neck as well.  I'm using the sensor bungs for the temperature gauge and the temperature sensor for the Bosch fuel injection.  

If you scrounge around for a wrecked E30 325 you can grab screw in bungs to cover the extra holes, since you're running carbs. 

You can also drill an tap the bungs and use them for a temperature sensor for an electric cooling fan.  

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

I use 1 port for stock temp gauge.  1 port for VDO temp gauge sensor and 1 port for electric fan switch.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Like the others, 1 for stock, 1 for EFI, and 1 for a VDO sensor. However, I only have one VDO temp gauge in my console, so I made sure the water temp sensor and oil temp sensor are the same  range (0-300F if I remember correctly). I normally drive with it hooked up to Oil since I have a good idea how my stock gauge reads. One of these days I'll put in a switch so I can go back and forth on demand.

"Sabine" 1976 Polaris / Navy - 12+ year Inop Ebay Find. Now with Microsquirt and Cold A/C. 

• 3 years later...

Hi all. Revisiting this post as I have a related question.

Converting my 76' 2002 to DCOE's and bought the IE water neck. The position of the temp sensor in the original valve was in the front hole (marked 1) and as you can see it fully protruded into the flow and right at the exit (entrance?) of flow to the head.

I am assuming this is the factory gauge sensor?

With the new neck the front hole is a smaller thread and as such no-go. I could place it in one of the other parts but in each case it would then be in a recessed port and not (as) exposed to flow (pic 2) and much more in line to the flow to/from the radiator as it is further back in the neck.

Would any of this matter such that I should look for another sensor or try and tap the from port?

Many thanks

Sam

temp.png

Edited by sam1904

2022 Defender 110 30th Edition

1976 BMW 2002 - Evolving...

I have a similar but different situation.  Different water divider (one less port), but my stock temp gauge sits in front of the VDO gauge, with about the same protrusion into the divider.  Stock gauge and VDO gauge sync up temp wise without a problem.

VDO.JPG

• Like 1

Engine bay OCD is a real problem

@02carbs 

Short answer is no.  The reason water/mix is used for coolant is because its ability to transfer heat to/from stuff while flowing (i.e. forced convection) it absolutely tremendous.  So recessed or not, if it's in any bit of the coolant flow path it'll be right.  Only thing to watch out for is to make sure you don't get a bubble of air trapped up by it, which I supposed could be slightly more likely to happen with the recessed fitting.  But the solution here would just be to slightly loosen the sensor while running until a little coolant dribbles out and then snug back up.  This will bleed out any trapped air bubbles there and you'll be all set!

Edited by AustrianVespaGuy
  • Like 1