• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Less expensive sunroof seals?

Mucci

Are there any less expensive sunroof seal options? I only need them for a few months before the car goes to paint and they get torn off again. I'd like to not spend $100-120 for 2 seals I'm only going to use for a few months. 

1975 2002 - US Spec, Taiga Green

How about foam or EDPM weatherstrip available at Home Depot, Lowe's and hardware stores?

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

My '72tii was my daily driver for over 10 years. It came to me with no sunroof seals, and I didn't realize they were missing for over a year. Other than reducing wind noise, they actually don't seem to be necessary for keeping water out of the interior. Rain water never entered my car, despite the wide cracks in the roof. I say, just leave them off until your repaint. That was my experience, maybe your's will be different.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

7 minutes ago, JerryC said:

Other than reducing wind noise

I believe Jerry is correct about the seals not stopping water.  It is much more important to make sure all four drain tubes are clear of debris and able to flow freely.  Compressed air works well to do this.  You might especially check the tube that goes down the driver's side A-pillar.  It is often punctured when holes are drilled for the antenna.  Then the exiting water drains down into the body cavity.

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

Ok thanks for the tips guys. I'll just leave the crappy old ones on there for the meantime and make sure the channels and drains are clear.

Is there a way to tell if there's a puncture in the drain tube? I assume even if there's a tear most of the water would make it out the tube which would make it hard to tell there's a breach unless it's a total shear.

Edited by Mucci

One more thing - my drain channels are looking a little rusty. Is there a solution to sealing these back up? I assume it'd be almost impossible to paint inside the channel as it goes to the rear of the car.

The channels that you refer too are only a inch or two long and the rest of the line is plastic tube, it might be possible to scrub the rust out with a wire test tube brush and the brush some por 15 or equivalent in with w q-tip or model paint brush. I don't think theirs anyway to tell if the tube is punctured with out taking it out having a look. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

To test that one tube for puncture leaks, plug or crimp the end that exits under the back side of the fender well and shoot compressed air down the vent tube at the top.  With the antennae removed you can hear or even feel the escaping air through the screw holes.

Replacing that particular plastic tube is especially trying but there are a couple of write ups on the site that are helpful.

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

2 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

The channels that you refer too are only a inch or two long and the rest of the line is plastic tube, it might be possible to scrub the rust out with a wire test tube brush and the brush some por 15 or equivalent in with w q-tip or model paint brush. I don't think theirs anyway to tell if the tube is punctured with out taking it out having a look. 

I was referring to the "gutters" that bring the water to the drain holes.