• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battery Quick Disconnect

2002#3

Have any of you developed a way to quickly and conveniently disconnect and connect the NEG cable from the battery in a 2002tii?  In an '02tii the NEG terminal and its cable clamp are situated tightly in a difficult-to-access spot beneath the base of the forward air cleaner housing snout.  I find quick disconnects work well but not so much here in this situation.  See the attached photo in which the NEG battery terminal is covered and hidden by the snout.  The NEG cable cable has been disconnected from its home beneath the snout.  Any suggestions, approaches, or appropriates products?

Larry

Cincinnati

IMG_2811.jpg

17 hours ago, Glen Karr said:

I've got a Tii but use the shorter 26R battery.  Neg terminal is not under snout.

Or if your cables are long enough (and a stock negative cable won't be), use a Group 26 battery--the negative cable is closest to the radiator support--the opposite of other batteries used in a 2002.  But if you do this, be sure and place a cover over the positive terminal to prevent shorting when removing the air cleaner.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

You could also get a battery disconnect switch and attach it to the positive side of the battery if all you want to do is disconnect the power to service the vehicle or for storage.  Try a boat store like West Marine, they have many different types of battery shut off switches, disconnects, solenoids, etc....

74 Golf

Maybe I am missing something.  All QD are designed to fit only the NEG terminal; their ID is too small to fit onto the POS terminal.  So, by design, isn't adding a QD to the POS terminal dangerous?  All QD add extra exposed metal that could increase the chances for the QD at the POS terminal to short against something.  Am I correct?

Larry 

Disconnect the positive. Electrically it is no different. The reason we disconnect the negative first is to prevent any accidents when disconnecting the positive when a wrench clashes with the bodywork and shorts out. If you are doing this with a properly designed disconnection switch and you are not then planning on doing anything around/ near the positive terminal it will be fine (for storage etc). 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish, 2002#2...If you want to simply disconnect the battery from the car's system you can install a battery switch like I did:

IMG_0833%20Medium.jpg

A flick of the wrist and it's disconnected. I did run a low amp hot lead to the radio so I wouldn't lose my presets, and I can play the radio without the ignition switch on if desired..

75 2002 (atlantik) 1990 - 1993

73 2002 tii (malaga) 1994 - 2017

74 2002 tii (verona) 2023 - present

bmdubl02:  I want to QDC of some sort to use when working on the car.  The snout of the air filter pretty much covers the NEG terminal, so it's a PITA to DC the NEG cable each time I want to DC battery power.  Your kill switch is one of the suggestions in this thread and will work perfectly.  Now, I have to find a good place for the switch.  Thanks for the suggestion and the photograph.  Nice switch.

Larry