• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alpina A3s carburettor kit for 2002

inca-orange

Whoa... He's got some rare bits to sell....at prices only Jay Leno could swing. Yikes. 

Ed

Those A3 carbs are 45mm Solex DDHs. I run the same carb on my the '71 in a 40mm. Great carburetors...

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

On 12/3/2016 at 9:21 PM, Simeon said:

I thought that air cleaner was for A4 injection? 

Thank you, Simeon!

I've been trying to figure out how the airbox could work, and fit, with the sidedrafts and a brake booster....

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

2 hours ago, NickVyse said:

I mentioned this on the UK forum, and perhaps someone here knows better, but I thought Alpina only used weber and not solex? To me it looks like a selection of bits put together and then the usual 2k alpina tax!

I recall old ALPINA catalogs listing both Weber and Solex.

There's no linkage or the rubber boots between the cabs and airbox; the former is hard to find an original ALPINA one.

In the end, there are two real ALPINA parts in there -- the intake manifold and the airbox...

Edited by inkatouring

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '92 M5T (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

Alpina has switched from Webers to Solexes somewhen around 1973. There was a change in emission regulations for Germany (and I believe for the rest of the then-time EC, too) at that time, that required some new "Euro-Test" to be passed to get a car street-legal. New limit values for CO2 and else couldn´t be reached with the old-type Webers, Weber wasn´t willing to cooperate on an update for their carbs, Deutsche Vergaser Gesellschaft / Pierburg, which the german branch of Solex (originally Solex is from France) belonged to, was willing. So Alpina used Solex DDH and later on ADDHE from that time on instead of Webers.

What is important for the kit offered, is if the early Alpina one-piece manifold (look at the identifying kink in the middle) is machined correctly for the use of carbs. The manifold was used for both carbs and injection, but as the carbs require to sit about horizontal to keep a correct level in the float chambers (for the A4 injection throttle bodies that doesn´t matter) the two surfaces of the manifold towards cylinder head and towards carbs/throttle bodies were machined in a different angle related to each other, wether they were intended for use with carbs or for use with injection. Sorry for the maybe a bit crude description - my mother tongue is german and I get into problems with my limited skills in english language everytime the things get a bit more complicated.

So if it really is a manifold for carbs I highly doubt the airbox shown can be used without getting into problems. First it´s correct: That airbox originally was meant for use with the A4 injection. Carbed Alpina cars came with an Alpina-modified stock 2002TI airbox or with the triangular Alpina air collector normally (triangular air collector can´t be used on an A3S engine because of its restrictions in air flow).

With the angle on an Alpina one-piece manifold truly machined for carbs the air horns of the carbs will come out too low to meet with inlet openings of the A4 airbox (maybe that´s the reason why one of the openings is already broken in its lower area), if it is mounted at the original position on the brackets on the driver-side wheel well the TI and tii models have. And you can´t really put the box to a lower position because it will then collide with the smaller diameter TI/tii/turbo brake booster.

Best regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.