• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VIN Question, trying to find period correct part

Driv3r

Q1.

My 73 tii (275xxxx) is listed in german parts catalogue under 71 tii. 

VIN.jpg

Email reply from BMW Group:

Thank you for your email.

The BMW 2002 tii rhd VIN 275xxxx was manufactured on March 12th, 1973 and delivered on March 19th, 1973 to the British Importer BMW London Ltd. 

We hope this information is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,

Julia Oberndörfer

********************************************************************************

Q2.

I dont have a bulb or any electrical wiring on my heater control levers. Looking at realoem (car code 2582) or the German catalogue, 64/7 shows bulb wiring but 64/8 doesn't. Was the bulb wiring only installed on US model cars?

Cheers

Edited by Driv3r

I don't have an answer for your question, but please note that the "Modell 71" refers to the general round taillight model (not a given model year) that began with cars manufactured April 1971 and continued through July 1973, when round taillight production ceased.  The Modell 71 was replaced by the "Modell 73", which most of us know as the square taillight. 

I don't know the conventions of model years for U.K.-delivered cars, but in the U.S. there are three model years WITHIN the "Modell 71" designation:

(1.) late 1971,

(2.) all 1972, and

(3.) all 1973.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

My Mar 73 non tii doesn't have lighting for the heater levers. 

Do you have the correct wiring diagram for your car? The pdfs on the tii register site are pretty comprehensive. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

My Mar 73 non tii doesn't have lighting for the heater levers. 

Do you have the correct wiring diagram for your car? The pdfs on the tii register site are pretty comprehensive. 

Yes I used the same pdf, 64/7 has lights but 64/8 doesn't. I was actually going to add lights but didn't know 73 also came with it. Maybe only on US cars.

Cheers

My tii has the lights (May 30,1973).  Keep in mind that a PO may have swapped out  things over the years. 

Maybe but the part diagram for 73 Tii has two version, one with lights and one without. (64/7 & 64/8).

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My RHD Modell 71 tii 2751928 build date May 1973 does not have illuminated leavers.

Never get confused by the strange US model (marketing) year syndrome. What you need are build dates or production model codes. Nothing else matters.  

I think the problem with the parts manuals are that they are updated pages. the Tii register parts manual shows  64/7 date 12/75 and 64/8 as 7/75 where as, if you look ate the earlier parts manuals (together with a huge amount of other info) available on https://bmw-grouparchiv.de/research/  you will see corresponding pages 64/6 dated 6/73 and 64/7 as 6/73 and in another manual for pages 64/7 and 64/8 as 3/78. I think what I'm trying to say is the pages get update inaccurately. 

02tii 2751928 (2582)

Its a standard flaky Deutsch type site. If you look down the bottom of the page you will see an option for Englisch. Click that and you will see the Search option at the top. Hover over that and select Quicksearch and enter +Parts blank +Catalogue. Scroll down. Only the ones with pictures are any good. I could only find a couple of sets of 02 parts catalogues. You can also find +Owner's blank +Handbook, which should please a few people.

02tii 2751928 (2582)

If your car has the three lever heater controls (two on the left for upper or lower outlet flaps, one on the right for temperature) they won't be illuminated.  Four lever controls (the fourth lever, on the right controls the heater blower motor) are illuminated, at least on US spec cars.  

The factory switched to four lever controls (again, at least on US spec cars) sometime during model year 1972; a quick perusal of the factory parts book will give you the exact changeover VIN.  My Dec 72 production carbureted US 2002 has four lighted levers for the heater controls.  

Your VIN indicates a RHD 2002tii and BMW Classic identifies it as having been manufactured about mid-production year in 1973; apparently they didn't adapt the lighted heater controls on Euro cars at the same time they did on US cars.  Perhaps the lights on US cars were to satisfy a Federal safety requirement that didn't apply to Euro cars.   But no US cars with three heater levers had them illuminated.  What's your setup?

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Sounds as if BMW used the three lever, non-illuminated heater controls on Euro cars for some time after they were discontinued on US cars in favor of four lever, illuminated controls.  Didn't realize that.

You learn something every day on this board.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

My April 71 2002 had the "Chrome" plated heater covers - not the commonly found satin finish ones. Weird how BMW used their stockpiles of parts.

IMG_8206.jpg

Here is one of my heater controls on the 73tii (lighted type)

IMG_8354.jpg

Early picture of the lighted lever assembly from the 73

11009015.jpg

The crafty Germans had replaceable inserts for the dash lever controls - you can mix/match languages and lever positions (or make your own labels like SUPER HOT, SHOE MELT, FROSTY, NICHT, etc.)

pics642010015.jpg

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"