• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mr. AlpinA got some paint......

markmac

6" was max allowed by rules at that point in time.  The rear end is tubbed and the pick-up point is changed.  Ditto for the front, strut mounting points are brought inward several inches and raised (to accommodate R&P steering).  Struts are AlpinA 3.0 CSL racing struts (Bilstein), everything is coil over and there are no rubber mounts of any kind (its a race car).

Good luck with your project

Edited by markmac

Thanks Rey.  I am really pleased with the paint, the body work is better now I think than back in the day, all of the body lines are really crisp, they all line up and their are few if any "wowies" in the glass.  Actually, I think it was probably good enough to shoot in black (that said we all know how any flaw in a black paint job is magnified).

I do have a pretty significant string of emails back and forth with AlpinA dating back to 2007 on this car (but then I had corresponded with them on various street car bits back to 1986).  Back on '07 there were still three (3) of the guys still working at AlpinA that built the car so I was able to get some pretty valuable information. They are all in retirement now and or possibly passed away.  Lars has contact with a few folks there still and was able to connect me with A. Bovensiepen.  

I was able to get a pretty substantial collection of photo's as well which have been widely seen.  Unfortunately though no technical images to speak of (front suspension, trunk area and rear mounted radiator).  Not really a big deal at this point, although  I would have loved to have seen some details of how they mounted the radiator and the routing of the hose/piping to and from the engine.  At this point I plan to put the radiator back in the front (AlpinA themselves told me not to repeat what they had done initially as it just didn't work well).  I had Brassworks fabricate this custom radiator for the car - replicates the motorsport style radiators the o2's and CSL's used back in the day...its 2-5/8" thick x 15-1/2" tall x 20-3/4" wide - the core is tellurium copper, has 10 fins/inch, 3/4" seemless welded tubes (could have gone aluminum, decided to go old school).

003.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!!!!  Stripes look awesome, this is first shot I've seen that really shows what the car will look like!    Amazing.

Thanks for sharing...

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!