• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kugelfisher

mobius74

While it might "work," I believe there are internal "tuning" differences with the '74.  I'd send it off for service.  There are a number of shops mentioned in these threads:

http://ww.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/182165-tii-pump-rebuild-step-1-of-xxxx/#comment-1120842

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/102875-kugelfischer-pump-injector-source-germany/#comment-253274

Edited by John_in_VA
provided links

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

I have not had any problems with my pump, and my tii has (I'm sure) well over 100K miles on her. 

I'm assuming that it would be a good idea for a pump rebuild soon? I've always wondered about this.

75 2002 (atlantik) 1990 - 1993

73 2002 tii (malaga) 1994 - 2017

74 2002 tii (verona) 2023 - present

54 minutes ago, bmdubl02 said:

Any advise on my query?

If your car is believed to be well maintained (oil regularly changed) and you have no particular reason to think the pump may be worn (car is performing well) then there should be no reason to speculatively rebuild it. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

On September 13, 2016 at 6:20 PM, bmdubl02 said:

I have not had any problems with my pump, and my tii has (I'm sure) well over 100K miles on her. 

I'm assuming that it would be a good idea for a pump rebuild soon? I've always wondered about this.

Had mine rebuild at 325K.  Was seeping a bit of oil here & there.  Rebuilder said internals were fine.  Keep fuel & oil clean & you should be golden.  

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged

I believe that you are correct that, technically, the '74 pump has a different part number reflecting a different cone.

However, if you search here, you'll find that the preponderance of opinion seems to be that, after 40 years, ethanol in fuel, etc, the pumps are generally considered to be interchangeable.

More to the point, I strongly agree with the above posters who advise to suspect the KFish pump itself LAST.  We'd need to know what the symptoms are leading you to think about having the pump rebuilt.

If you want to test something speculatively -- pull out the fuel injectors and have them tested for spray pattern and leakage.

--Rob

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

On 13/09/2016 at 7:31 PM, mobius74 said:

I have a 74 tii and I need to swap out the kugelfisher pump.,

Rob

Why do you think this?

As others have questioned, its probably the last thing to look at. Describe the problem you have.

02tii 2751928 (2582)

Currently we have ran pressure tests on the main pump out of the gas tank and that is consistent. After that we tested the pressure coming out of the K pump and it will jump up and down leaving me with the car starving for gas. I tried running a tank of non ethanol gas and didn't solve or help my problem. I'm sure I need a rebuild or pump swap.    

38 minutes ago, mobius74 said:

Currently we have ran pressure tests on the main pump out of the gas tank and that is consistent. After that we tested the pressure coming out of the K pump and it will jump up and down leaving me with the car starving for gas. I tried running a tank of non ethanol gas and didn't solve or help my problem. I'm sure I need a rebuild or pump swap.    

What do you mean that you tested the pressure coming out of the Kugelfischer pump?  Fuel is no longer under pressure aft of the pressure valve at the back of the pump.  The correct place to measure pressure on the system is either inline before the Kugelfischer or at the hose leading to the cold-start injector.

If you don't have the correct pressure when it is measured correctly then you probably just have a bad or dirty pressure valve assuming fuel isn't leaking out of the Kugelfischer anywhere.

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2

2 hours ago, mobius74 said:

Check volume as well as pressure between the fuel filter and KFish.  What was the pressure produced by the electric fuel pump? Do you have the KFish tuning guide?

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged