• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Laser Rust Removal

Colin

That's not going to fix hole ridden, weak, rusted out panels. Correct me if I am wrong...but this looks like just a surface rust remover! My hand held angle grinder with a flap disk costs about $20 total from Harbor Freight...

I'd like to see what this thing does to to the said panels I mentioned above...I bet it just burns right through!

On 8/30/2016 at 7:51 AM, TobyB said:

...and when you're done, you can get that tramp stamp taken care of, too...

That's cool.  I think I need one...

t

That leads to further questions: Does that mean you need:

1. That awesome laser?

2. A tramp stamp or

3.a Tramp stamp removed? 

:)

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

23 hours ago, arminyack said:

That's not going to fix hole ridden, weak, rusted out panels. Correct me if I am wrong...but this looks like just a surface rust remover! My hand held angle grinder with a flap disk costs about $20 total from Harbor Freight...

I'd like to see what this thing does to to the said panels I mentioned above...I bet it just burns right through!

In theory it doesn't.  

But...  If the panel is weak and resembles swiss cheese, you are probably better off cutting it out and welding in a new panel then using the uber expensive laser machine or the $20 angle grinder with a flap disk.

Zach

4 hours ago, vacca rabite said:

In theory it doesn't.  

But...  If the panel is weak and resembles swiss cheese, you are probably better off cutting it out and welding in a new panel then using the uber expensive laser machine or the $20 angle grinder with a flap disk.

Zach

Definitely cut out the old, rusty panel for sure.....but half a million dollars for a surface rust remover? Er...no... 

As for stripping a body down...I dont think this thing can remove anything but rust.....what about old paint, bondo, dirt, grime, etc?

Edited by arminyack

So, in theory, (and this was only based on the link posted above) the machine will blast through paint and bondo and rust and scale.  The depth to be cleaned can be user set or determined by the machine.  It was made (apparently) to quickly strip down military vehicles.  They mention F16s in the link.  Its not really intended for auto restoration, but as time advances and the machinery becomes cheaper it will filter down into the civilian world.  

I see this more as a machine for governments, or marine shipyards, or big corporate machinery repair right now.  Something where speed is critical and the cost of the machine can be absorbed.

Zach