• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Bumper Seam Covers

2002#3

Friends,

In the attached foto from Vintage 2016, my car is on the right and MARTII's nice tii is on the left.  I want to replace my rear bumper guards (old school term)/uprights with seam covers as are on MARTII's car and keep the rubber trim strip.  My bumpers are 1972(?).  I have not yet decided to convert the center section to one which contains plate lights as MARTII has done.)  From what I understand after reading about covers on our illustrious site, there might more than one version of the covers:  early/late?  notched/un-notched?  

Do covers have to be notched?  Any of you have covers appropriate for my bumper?  

I plan to contact BluntTech and Roger'stii.

Thanks.

Larry

Cincinnati, Ohio

OMD51924 (1).jpg

AFAIK the covers are all the same--they have little tabs on the end that bend over the edge of the bumper.  Don't know what you mean by notched.  Please be aware that you will need a new rubber surround strip if you want eliminate the holes created by using the bumper guards.

I think there are 2 kinds.  I designed for bumpers with the rubber strip like you have (late style?) and ones designed for bumpers that are just chrome with no rubber strip (early style?).  I am in the market for a set and thats the info I have gotten so far.  So you will need the Seam covered for a bumper with the rubber strip.  Others may chime in with more info.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

No affiliation....Just seems like a good price for a set of bumper seam covers....they also offer stainless steel and chrome...wonder what the difference in look is....

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

well, color, of course!  hee...

I never looked at these twice before.  Now I'm not parking ours on the street... the look's starting to grow on me.

Thanks, guys!

(he says, without sarcasm for once...)

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

We have a set of Stainless bumpers on the 76 we just did for a customer. We went initially with chrome and were not satisfied with the finish. The seller is `100% top notch  and will bend over backwards to satisfy his customers.  He made sure we had show quality stuff and even paid return shipping on the chrome. Very please with the stainless. They are gorgeous

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

5 minutes ago, jrhone said:

Thats good info...Thanks!  Doesn't seem too bad of a price for new bumpers either.  

Agreed  Id buy another set in a heartbeat for the right car But again, Id get stainless

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

23 hours ago, jrhone said:

Are they affiliated with any members here?  I know there was a member that had stainless sets available in the past few years.

Re: chrome - one of our fastidious hot rod locals here in the DC area sends all his stuff to Paul's - http://www.paulschrome.com/

Edited by John_in_VA
spelling

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Friends,

After following up my original post on this topic, reading the several informative and thoughtful comments above, and copious amounts for surfing, I have found the info I needed re: seam covers.  There seems to be four (4) different seam covers.  

for older models without a complete wrap-around rubber strip (short bumpers):

51121803273 (L side, no shallow notch for rubber strip)

51121803274 (R side, no shallow notch for rubber strip)

for newer models with a complete wrap-around rubber strip (long bumpers):

51121815481 (L side, shallow notch for long rubber strip)

51121815482 (R side, shallow notch for long rubber strip)

NOTE:  Please let us/me know if my info is not correct.

NOTE:  There also is #51121806026 (no shallow notch).  Cannot seem to determine which car/arrangement this one fits...

There are several sources for these covers.  Some sources can provide both L and R; some can provide only the L or the R, not both.  In addition, the l and R usually are different prices.

I ordered ---81 and ---82.  I also ordered two (2) center section LP light, so now I am committed to the complete rear bumper Euro conversion.  Will begin looking for a Euro center section with holes, not slots, for the rubber strip.  (Side light holes are being filled this week to complete the conversion.)d

For those of you who have not converted, see photos for an idea of some of the lower nose and rear valence body work which can accompany a conversion.

Regards,

Larry

IMG_3223.jpgIMG_3224.jpg     

IMG_3219.jpgIMG_3220.jpg

• Like 1