• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest from Rock Auto

JayMac

I also got a notice from rockauto. I couldn't believe it but they had a front countershaft bearing for a getrag 245 on closeout for $5. Jumped on it since everywhere else they are listed as NLA. If it is the correct one great, if not no big deal.

Fram i heard is garbage, i would get some of the other brands before fram. Probably the motorcraft would be my next choice.

Edited by Stevenc22

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

Mahle or Mann

is what I learned on this site

I follow that rule

seeing another color filter, other than black

looks wrong to me now

I figure, why skimp with unknown brands,

when a brand new Mahle is six bucks?

https://www.blunttech.com/products/3684644

this sale is tempting though

starter bushings for $.060!!

do I need one? no.

yet I am still tempted to buy a few of them

if only they sold Bosch distributor bushings, weights, springs, shims, points plates, vacuum pods... and things!  

I often wondered about what was in a Wix filter.  The last time I was in a O'Reileys store, they had about 4 filter cut away display.  Those show not only the amount of filter material in a given filter size but the quality of filter paper.  The paper is what does the job, not the paint on the outside.  Wix has many pleats and good quality paper.  Skimping on the amount of paper means the filter will load earlier and then if there is enough pressure drop, the bypass valve opens and you can guess about how much filtering there is.  I don't sell Wix, but I was impressed.

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

21 minutes ago, '76Mintgrun'02 said:

Mahle or Mann

is what I learned on this site

I follow that rule

seeing another color filter, other than black

looks wrong to me now

I figure, why skimp with unknown brands,

when a brand new Mahle is six bucks?

https://www.blunttech.com/products/3684644

this sale is tempting though

starter bushings for $.060!!

do I need one? no.

yet I am still tempted to buy a few of them

if only they sold Bosch distributor bushings, weights, springs, shims, points plates, vacuum pods... and things!  

I didn't bother ordering anything but I was tempted! I've been running the same Mobil 1 filter for 3-4 years and it's been great. I might switch to mahle or mann because the mobil one twice the price!

mike tunney

32 minutes ago, jimk said:

The paper is what does the job, not the paint on the outside. 

they are offering two paper air filter elements as well.

based on the photos, one has many more pleats than the other.

based on the statement about oil filters, I would guess the same holds true for air filters?

it probably has very little to do with the color of the rubber at the top and bottom... :)

although I would rather see black... which happens to be the one with more pleats.

(assuming the photo is an accurate depiction of what you are getting)

Tom

CA3300_061714__ra_t.jpg257_CFA94_1__ra_t.jpg

18 hours ago, '76Mintgrun'02 said:

Mahle or Mann is what I learned on this site I follow that rule

seeing another color filter, other than black looks wrong to me now

I liked when the Purolator filters were red - matched the dipstick, and, of course, more horsepower!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

1 hour ago, fjord-tii said:

This is a great article on oil filters

Another home grown analysis.  He forgot to do a selected oil flow rate and pressure drop with clean oil and another pressure drop after a weighed amount of particulate was introduced into the oil.  Then after the same time period for each filter weigh the capture paper disc to show how much particulate was passed thru the filter and list the filter change in pressure drop.  This eyeball evaluation just doesn't get it as far as a valid test is concerned.  Besides some of these filters may be obsolete by now.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.