• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kudos to Scott Sturdy and the Vintage !

philv

Just wanted to give a shout-out to Scott Sturdy and all of his helpers for organizing the Vintage in Asheville / Hot Springs last weekend.

First BMW event I've attended . Huge turnout and the weather cooperated. With all of the great restaurants and micro-breweries,

Asheville is a great place to hold this event. See y'all next year!

Phil VerMeulen

Nashville, tn

76 2002

vintage1.jpg

"Technology has ruined the driving experience"

Had a great time too! Wonderful event. my friend Scott came down in my old e30. Two other friends came to Asheville for their 3rd Vintage and only one of them has a BMW and it's not vintage!

john

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Best one ever, 2012s Vintage was the one to beat in my opinion. Great people, tour routes, BMWs and Asheville rocks. Still feeling the afterglow of a super event, should be a week long, well for me it was. Vern and I had an amazingly fun time over the 2,059 miles traveled.

IMG_1911.jpg

Edited by adawil2002

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Loved the venue

Loved Ashville

Loved the town of hot springs

Loved the riding (driving)

But... we need a different hotel.  The parking lot layout sucked.  Hawthorne allowed all the cars and people to be piled into one big space.  Outstanding for viewing and conversations with old friends.    Clarion. ....bad.   parking strung out around hotel.  Killed the dynamic that is a huge part of the event,  the party each night. 

20160521_085010.jpg

2xM3

If we stay at the Clarion again, I've suggested to Scott specifying BMW only parking like the Mid America '02 Fest to keep all the cars together instead of strung out through the lot. Most people people were hanging out by the "A" entrance and the main portico. So if we take over that side it would be pretty decent.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

That side was not even close to big enough.    Bmw's mostly filled all the spaces around the hotel. There are many other hotels in asheville.   One of them must have a large parking lot.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

2 hours ago, mlytle said:

The parking lot layout sucked.  Hawthorne allowed all the cars and people to be piled into one big space.  Outstanding for viewing and conversations with old friends.    Clarion. ....bad.   parking strung out around hotel.

The Hawthorne had ~60 spaces in one area, and the rest were down a hill and around the corner, the clarion had ~50 on each side of the building, both could be better, but the Clarion has more total spaces

I think that if it wasn't for the rain, people would have walked around more and there would have been several parking lot encampments. 

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

18 hours ago, philv said:

Just wanted to give a shout-out to Scott Sturdy and all of his helpers for organizing the Vintage in Asheville / Hot Springs last weekend.

First BMW event I've attended . Huge turnout and the weather cooperated. With all of the great restaurants and micro-breweries,

Asheville is a great place to hold this event. See y'all next year!

Phil VerMeulen

Nashville, tn

76 2002

vintage1.jpg

Scott REALLY earned his five-figure bonus on the 2016 Vintage!  Oh...wait...are you saying he organizes this and doesn't get a five-figure bonus?  That's just crazy talk!

I simply can't imagine how many hours Scott and his team invested in this.  Just wow!

Thank you, Scott!  We owe you big time!

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

12 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Scott REALLY earned his five-figure bonus on the 2016 Vintage!  Oh...wait...are you saying he organizes this and doesn't get a five-figure bonus?  That's just crazy talk!

I simply can't imagine how many hours Scott and his team invested in this.  Just wow!

Thank you, Scott!  We owe you big time!

Best regards,

Steve

Conserv aka Steve you were there and didn't even say hello or did you and I just didn't know it. Really wanted to meet you in person.

Edited by adawil2002

Andrew Wilson

Yes thanks to Scott and all the volunteers. It was a very good event, slightly dampened by rain. The enthusiasm from the participants was infectious and the social media for this event was amazing. Seeing the pictures of all the BMW caravans converging on Asheville made you want to jump in your car right then and join the madness. I think I am in the minority but the highlight for me is driving my car fast through the twisty (wet!) mountain roads. Parking on a field is great and seeing the other cars and meeting people is great too but I built my car to drive, not be seen.

I agree with keeping Hot Springs but would vote for a Clarion replacement, if possible, mainly due to the bad location (traffic, construction, and general lack of character). Asheville is such a cool place it is a shame not to be nearer to the coolness. Having hosted large events, I will say it is really hard to find an affordable hotel with everything you want that is willing to put up with a rowdy car crowd. The Clarion may be the best of a limited set of choices.

vq4gCFRQsMLN4hILnc8ipqOVjH3u-nw71QBC9uC7

s.jpgp.jpgx.jpgh.jpgm.jpg

BMW Lotus Healey Miata x 2

Scott and Other Organizers of Vintage 2016,

All of your hard work and planning came to fruition perfectly.  You did a superb job with the hotel (Clairon [can't beat $89]), home base (Asheville), and venue (beautiful and remote Hot Springs).  We thank you so very much for making this event a well-worthwhile trip.  Attached:  A few of the participant cars and some sweet music from this year's Vintage. 

Larry Gray

Cincinnati, Ohio

IMG_3099 (1).m4v

IMG_3101 (1).jpg