• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tires for Rota RB wheels 7 x 15

curt74golf

Just got my wheels, trying to decide the best tire size. As the 7" rims poke out a bit more than the e30 wheels they're replacing (just did a test fit sans tire) I'm wondering if the initial plan of 205/50-R15 might be a bit much - maybe 195/55-R15? I don't want the tires poking out (a la WRX drivers), and obviously don't want fender rub while turning.

What're others using?

IMG_20160420_165247[1].jpg

2 hours ago, jim57759 said:

I am running Yamaha S-Drive 195/50/15's.  Fenders are rolled and I am using 1/4' spacers.  They have been great.

I'm not running Yamaha S-Drive but I am running Yokohama S-Drive 195/50-15 with no spacers and no problems.  Go with 195/50-15 tires. I just ordered two Yoko S-Drives from Tire Rack for my tii since my back tires are getting the bald look.

post-32299-0-31668900-1423937503.jpg

Edited by Gordon

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

well, got the Yokohama S-drive 205/50x15 installed on my Rota 15x7 Rotas today. Rear perfect, front (especially RH side) rubbing at top against the strut to the point of burning rubber smell in 100 yards driving. Now, the RH front was hit at some point in the distant past (can get 1+ degrees negative camber on driver's side, only 0.9 degrees on pass. side), so the difference between right and left is explainable.  Options are:

1. Spacers - don't like this, as I think it'd cause rubbing against fenders
  2. drop to 195 on front
  3. drop to 195 all around
  4. I've heard of tweaking the struts (my RH may have already been tweaked by the hit).
  5. attack with 4lb hammer
  6. ?????

Suggestions, agreement with one or more of the above, commiseration etc. appreciated. This was not present with my e30 195/60x14 wheels, so the move to 7" rims is a contributing factor.

You asked for opinions on tire size and the peanut gallery said go with 195/50-15.  After you go with 195/50-15 all the way around, you'll be a much happier camper.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

While on subject of 195 / 50's, what is the best tire / model for a street / autocross / couple track weekends a year? I am running s-Drives, but they are a little easy to loose traction when coming out of a turn and hard on the throttle...

Recommendations???

Use some washers to test how thick of spacers you will need. I just put 205/50r15 and 195/50r15 S-Drives on my 15x7's. My wheels are ET29ish (I am told) and will require an 1/8 spacer up front with the 195's. Your results will vary, my plans are a turbo M10 so I don't think the extra rear grip will negatively effect handling much. Too soon to say for me, but I like the way the 205's fit on 15x7's so I'd just try to make it work if I were you.

image.jpg

image.jpg

25 minutes ago, burndog said:

While on subject of 195 / 50's, what is the best tire / model for a street / autocross / couple track weekends a year? I am running s-Drives, but they are a little easy to loose traction when coming out of a turn and hard on the throttle...

Recommendations???

Check out  bridgestone potenza RE11's ran them on several cars including my 1600.

70 BMW 1600 Malaga & Nevada

And a bunch of other old junk