• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vinyl Wrapping my 02

Alexkafy

Never seen an 02 vinyl wrapped so I thought I'd try it. So far I've done the rear quarter panels and trunk. Right now I'm in the process of finishing the hood and doors. Thoughts and opinions always accepted!

Also lets have a "custom" paint job thread.

post-47882-0-97241900-1456091041_thumb.j

post-47882-0-03177400-1456091085_thumb.j

post-47882-0-42572300-1456091106_thumb.j

post-47882-0-44052500-1456091134_thumb.j

• Like 1

Carter Kelly Kramer had his car wrapped for years before his car was painted last winter.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Carter Kelly Kramer had his car wrapped for years before his car was painted last winter.

I thought that car was plasti-dipped. Not vinyl wrapped.

I wrapped half my 1600 a few years ago to achieve a two tone look. And too hide a hodgepodge of different colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

• 4 years later...

My son-in-law recommended doing this instead of painting on my far from perfect 76.  It seems to me though that unless the surfaces are all perfectly smooth and even already, like a modem car that isn’t 44+ years old, all the imperfections of old paint and old steel would get transmitted through the material and look bad.  Is that not the case?  Thanks!

Edited by Fletcher
Typically o

Have to have a really good paint job/surface for a vinyl wrap to work well. Make sure rust is taken care of etc. 

Imperfections will show through, plus if the starting surface is marginal, oxidized etc, most likely you will have to repaint after you remove the wrap. 

If you have a good paint and body surfaces as a basis,  then it is a fun way to change colors every few years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

2 hours ago, Fletcher said:

My son-in-law recommended doing this instead of painting on my far from perfect 76.  It seems to me though that unless the surfaces are all perfectly smooth and even already, like a modem car that isn’t 44+ years old, all the imperfections of old paint and old steel would get transmitted through the material and look bad.  Is that not the case?  Thanks!

The wrap material is thick enough to cover minor imperfections. However, to achieve a good result on the wrap for Eibach / Hot Wheels 2002 race car for the SEMA show, I repainted the nose panel and air dam (which had some deep chips). So far, the wrap has been durable (that ‘02 race ar is now racing in the Hot Wheels livery). -KB

Eibach + Hot Wheels BMW 2002 SEMA show.

BMW 2002 race car Hoonigan

• Like 6

• 3 months later...