• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stuck Rear Axle Shaft

FrictionTape

Going to be sending off the sub-frames for some sand blasting so I'm trying to get the axle shafts out.  The nuts that were on there were a BEAR to get off, but I was able to do so after a few days of penetrating fluid, heat, and impact socket.  

The shaft should just "bang" out right?  I didn't want to get too aggressive with it, but they seem to be almost fused in there....I have no idea if they've ever been touched, grease in there is pretty black.

Suggestions?

1968 BMW 2002

1998 M Roadster

Yes. Variation that I use to ensure threads not damaged is to put the nut on halfway, then use a 1/2in drive extension held against the axle end and beat on extension with the big hammer.

The nut keeps the extension from sliding and screwing up the threads.

2xM3

soft face hammer, relatively large.  I have a 2lb copper face that I use for transmission work that works well for this.

Don't make your first hit the hardest, but it's ok to really whallop it.

And then change the bearings if you have to slug the crap out of it- they're the fragile part of the deal.

It's getting it broken loose that takes the big push.

And getting a trailing arm held in a press such that it doesn't get bent can be quite difficult.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

A common, large 3 Armed puller has always done the job for me. If/when you get it apart, pay SPECIAL ATTENTION to the arrangement of the shims on either side of the bearings. They're installed to accommodate for variations in trailing arm manufacture, and if you're lucky, putting them back in, in the same exact order will yield correct factory tolerances. 

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com