• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing braces that run the length of the hood? (Pressed metal louver q's)

LikeStig

I need access to the underside of the hood where the underside braces run front-to-rear. It appears that I could cut the braces at each end and carefully remove the braces from the hood which are attached with some type of glue or insulator. Two questions:

1. Has anyone seen this done and reinstalled successfully?

2. Are there any cars out there running the stock hood without the braces?

Thanks in advanced,

Edited by LikeStig

Marshall cut a section out of his... Cheers,

Page 18 has good info, thanks for digging that up. Going without the ribs doesn't sound like an option if modifications to ribs effects the rigidity of the hood. Edited by LikeStig

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for sharing Jeff, I dropped my hood off at a Hot Rod shop near the Illinois/Wisconsin border this weekend to have 60-70 pressed louvers added to the hood. He was able to successfully remove the braces, but I got a call this morning that he's found about a 1/4 inch of body filler on the underside of the hood and is hesitant to continue removing it as it appears there has been some very well hidden repair some to the underside of the hood.

Does anyone have experience removing gobs of body filler from the underside of the hood? This area is right underneath the braces and since there is no evidence of the braces being removed before I'm hoping that the metal under the paint is in fact solid and the body filler was something done at the factory.

I attached a picture here of my hood and an example of the pressed metal louvers I am planning on having added.

post-39968-0-43264100-1447088553_thumb.j

post-39968-0-81654300-1447088576_thumb.j

But... but... but... why?

Because Rock 'n roll! They are going to be on the center of the hood, over the engine in a diamond-like pattern in six rows total between the creases that separate each half of the hood. There is only about a 1" taper inward to these creases, and I already picked up some E9 CSL wind splits to go with. The car isn't going to be stanced or anything else sacrilege to the 2002 ethos, so if the next owner doesn't like it he can easily find a hood to swap it out.

The guy doing the louvers generally is exclusive to 30's and 40's cars, so I'm hoping someone can confirm here so I can call him back and tell him to keep plowing through the bondo.

Edited by LikeStig

Sounds like a real pain to re-engineer the hood. Factory race cars used stock hoods and they won stuff.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

@76Mintgrun'02 lol I did not even think that the Ghia is rear engined when looking at that picture!

Just got off the phone with the metal-guy, unfortunately I need to find another hood. He thinks at some point in the car's life something was dropped on the hood or it was stepped on, and the body shop added "pits" to make the metal rigid once again and then bondo'ed in the gaps.

If anyone in the Midwest has a solid hood for a reasonable price please message me. Off to the WTB section...

Edited by LikeStig

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a call that the hood was done, I need to take the drive tomorrow to pick it up but here is the pic he sent! Found another faq member out of Wisconsin through craigslist who had an extra hood which was solid- now I have a stock pastelblau hood and the cheese grater!

post-39968-0-65078100-1448646395_thumb.j

Edited by LikeStig