• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turbo's and PCV vacuum catch cans

conkitchen

My search for a single, consistent strategy to modernize my M10 for PCV - specifically with a turbocharged application - led me to technical experts in the field of engine ventilation. Here is my proposed solution for true PCV.

At idle, when vacuum is the highest post-throttle body, the restrictor valve limits air flow and crankcase pressure.

Under boost, the compressor-side PCV port does not pull enough vacuum to be concerned with over-pressurizing the crankcase.

There are 3 areas of optimization that can be improved:

1. For my application, ITBs, cylinder #2 will run slightly rich when using a single wideband O2 sensor post-turbine - not a significant issue - but can be mitigated by using 4x O2 sensors to precisely control injection
  2. This system assumes the brake will not be applied with with the throttle open - vacuum will not exist in the brake booster circuit while throttle is open
  3. Above idle but pre-boost, a significant vacuum does not exist in the PCV circuit - negligible concern for performance

Note: For legal reasons, I cannot recommend anyone else uses this design. If you do, you are doing so at your own risk and any damage/injury/death is your sole responsibility/liability.385616349_PCVDesign.thumb.JPG.760433cc6cdf323a75a490f4b5cb428a.JPG

Yellow dashed line fresh air entry - I tapped a drilled hole in the side of the head for make up air.

Flow setting for the restrictor valve is tricky or excess oil is pulled from the valve cover because the oil separation section in the M10 cover is not too efficient.

(Been there with this venting arrangement in the 1980s, but turbo/ignition control technology was crude at that time and I pulled the entire turbo stuff)

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

56 minutes ago, jimk said:

Yellow dashed line fresh air entry - I tapped a drilled hole in the side of the head for make up air.

@jimk can you point out where you tapped/drilled the hole? I’d almost rather do that than weld another port on (my tig skills are limited to straight line butt and lap joints at this point ?)

Edited by 02TurboMI

18 minutes ago, xr4tic said:

if you had the yellow dashed line fresh air entry, wouldn't the other VC port just suck that air straight back out without pulling anything from the crankcase?

There’s enough crankcase pressure so you’re pulling crankcase vapor and clean air at the same time. The point of the fresh air entry is to dilute the crankcase vapor so your not circulating only oil vapor - prevents oil sludge from sticking to the rockers/cam/etc. There may be more benefits that @jimk or others may be more knowledge about.

There is minimal airflow moving through that tube as well so the main PCV port on the valve cover is pulling mainly air from the crankcase (where pressure is highest).

Edited by 02TurboMI

1 hour ago, 02TurboMI said:

out where you tapped/drilled the hole?

Adjacent to where the mechanical fuel pump attaches.

1 hour ago, xr4tic said:

without pulling anything from the crankcase

Blowby gasses in the crankcase are pushed out.

1 hour ago, 02TurboMI said:

prevents oil sludge from sticking to the rockers/cam/etc.

Need the oil that doesn't sludge.

@gary32 according to his description, he’s adding a catch can to the fresh air circuit. He said his PCV was on the other side of the valve cover. If he leaves that PCV detached I guess he’s venting to the compressor side, but he’s still going to have crankcase pressure at idle. The compressor port needs to be closer to the compressor housing and will only pull vacuum at near to full boost.

Biggest danger, as @jimk said, is pulling/pushing air/oil past seals.

Edited by 02TurboMI

Just remove the valve cover all together. No worries about blow by at all.

But for real, I am so glad this is being reviewed as I feel I am ill prepared for the crankcase ventilation.

In fact I may need valve stem seals. Getting a bit of smoke on decel. I still have good compression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002