• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Uro Parts windscreen seals

DeanR32

Hi people

I was looking at Pelican parts' site and came across their range of door and screen seals from Uro parts. The price difference alongside the genuine BMW seals is quite a big difference!

Has anyone had any experience with Uro seals? Fit and size wise, are they that much more inferior to BMW parts?

Cheers for any replies

A "Search" of this topic (box in the upper right of each forum page) will reveal that the fit is not that of the BMW-supplied product.  While Uro continues to research & improve their products I, personally, would source the genuine part.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

The windshield seal is especially poor quality. It doesn't rain often in southern California, but when it does, you will have wet carpet.

1974 Turkis -rusty

1974 Fjord -basket case

1954 GMC 100

2002 325it 5 speed sport wagon

I thought someone from URO was on here recently looking for feedback to improve their seals. Anyone remember this or what became of it? I searched for the thread but didn't have any luck.

Yes, there WAS skin on my knuckles before I started the repair...

I recently bought and had a Uro windshield seal installed. It DOES fit, but differently than OEM. The outer edge is slightly convex where the OEM lays flat. Also the outer edge coverage (over paint) is approximately 1.5mm less than the OEM.

I didn't use the Uro seal as my existing OEM seal is still in great shape, but I saw the fit and I could have used it on a freshly-painted car. Also, the installer had nothing bad to say about the fit of the seal other than it didn't quite cover my old paint adequately.

By the way...I have a Uro windshield seal for sale CHEAP. ;)

Edited by PaulTWinterton
  • Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I have used the URO seals on front and rear windshields and they fit fine. I know there have been some that have had issues and am just relating my experience. I lot of the negatives have been related to the URO door seals more so than the windshield seals.

Rob S
'69 2002; '04 330i ZHP; 2018 X1; 2014 535i; 2017 340i

This happened about five years ago, so URO may have improved their product since then, but...

A local glass shop took five days to replace a broken windshield on my '73, because they tried to use URO seals--made in Thailand. They broke one new windshield trying to install it, and two other URO seals failed the leak test.  When they called me for the third time to tell me my car still wasn't ready, I told 'em to call Maxmillian Imports and have 'em overnight a BMW windshield seal--what I told the shop to use the first time.  

The shop manager called me the next day to say my car was ready, and said "I should have listened to you on Monday!"

Just my first (and only) experience with URO windshield seals.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

We've tried a few Uro seals in vintage Benzes as well. The trunk seals for 190SL and 230SL were too firm, to properly fit the deck lid, and the windshield seals were far from even usable. Note: Even Genuine seals are often now made from synthetic rubber (versus the originally fitted ones from the 60s, 70s) so they take extra care and attention. Recently had a factory (Genuine) BMW seal for an E21 fit poorly for this reason. YMMV.

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

I had URO seals installed on my front and rear windshields in the summer of 2013. I have not had any leaks, but my car has only seen rain once or twice. 

I strongly urge you to find a different brand if possible. Much like the other posters, mine do not quite extend as far as the originals, so I have more paint showing around the edges than before.

I also installed a URO trunk seal on my E28 535i. Fits very poorly, doesn't keep water out as a result, and it's not even long enough to fit all the way around. There's about a 10mm gap right in the middle where the two ends meet. It's very stiff rubber, and the trunk is unable to close properly, it sits a bit too high at all times after multiple re-installations.

Mike from Newark DE, now in Ellicott City MD

Collector of unreasonably rusty BMWs.

'72 tii, 528e, E30 S52, E34 540i/6, E46 325i