• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guibo Racecar Solution

whs.de

Only just a new idea (maybe someone else had the same, I do not know) to make it a bit more professional, we made this new combination of Output flange including the "fixed" guibo.

Ok, it was necessary to modify the prop shaft again (same flange as on the LSD  side), but it works perfect :-)

post-36643-0-69556900-1432988761_thumb.j

post-36643-0-22446700-1432988776_thumb.j

post-36643-0-91848800-1432988787_thumb.j

Here the old variant with fixed guibo, the problem was, you have to buy the output flange at BMW (it is a well known problem with damaged teeth at the 235 gearbox) , plus producing the aluminium guibo. Now the costs are reduced to EUR 250.- for the complete part (in hardened steel). And there is only 1 part without any additional screw.

post-36643-0-50122400-1432988801_thumb.j

W.

Edited by whs.de

i like the u-joint on front of driveshaft to minimize alignment issues, but personally, i would not eliminate the rubber guibo.  even for a race car.  it provides that little bit of shock absorption in the drivetrain.  race cars with race clutches, hard shifts, lsd's and sticky tires already put enough shock load into the system.  i have used stock rubber guibo's in all my race and track cars...2002's, e30's, e36's...they have never been a failure point on track.  

just a thought.

2xM3

There was a time the quality of the guibos was really poor. We needed a lot of guibos in short time. And we were not alone with these problems. Then I remembered the time at ZF. They eleminated every guibo in the race cars. So we made the Aluminium construction. I had never had any problem in the past years with that solution, but I don´t like it. But now, we rebuilt a third gearbox for the car with another ratio, so it was time for a better solution. Now I am glad with this solution, I like it.

In my opinion, the main problem is a race clutch without torsion springs. I use torsion springs and the 235 gearboxes thank it well.

W.

I ran guiboless for a while- I agree, the springs in the clutch disc are enough.

But like Marshall, I've never had any real guibo problems on a race car

that weren't the fault of something else.

As long as we used a good- quality guibo...

Nice!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Here the old variant with fixed guibo, the problem was, you have to buy the output flange at BMW (it is a well known problem with damaged teeth at the 235 gearbox)

Yes, damaged teeth on the output shaft of the 235 Close Ratio 5 speed is a very well known problem requiring a new output flange.  I had this one repaired and found a NOS replacement in Uraguay for my box.

Mark92131

post-33686-0-02224100-1433177930_thumb.j

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

The factory Group 5 CSLs ran a solid mounted u-joint at the gearbox end of the 265 gearboxes along with a solid centered 2 plate clutch. I have never had a big problem with Guibos on my car but I know some racers do. I think part of it is the calibration of the spacer between the steering wheel and the seat. I have customers with Hewland racing transaxles that go an entire season on a set of dog rings and others that can't make it 2 weekends. (the guys that are really fast, are easy on the gearboxes, the guys that "think" they are fast, not so much.

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

The factory Group 5 CSLs ran a solid mounted u-joint at the gearbox end of the 265 gearboxes along with a solid centered 2 plate clutch. I have never had a big problem with Guibos on my car but I know some racers do. I think part of it is the calibration of the spacer between the steering wheel and the seat. I have customers with Hewland racing transaxles that go an entire season on a set of dog rings and others that can't make it 2 weekends. (the guys that are really fast, are easy on the gearboxes, the guys that "think" they are fast, not so much.

Is there anything which is able to kill a 265? ;)

In normal case, a giubo problem is a drivetrain problem. If it is not straight enough, or better the angle have more than 3-4 degrees (when you have a metal/nylon/rubber compound) then the rubber heats and the guibo will be destroyed. That is not a racecar problem, that is in most cases a problem when someone put a 5speed gearbox not correct in the car for example. but if the rubber is not strong enough or something like that, then you will have the same problems. At the moment I do not know these problems, but in 2009 there was a problem with the compound. I do not remember which manufacturer it was.