• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 2002 died randomly

I was out for dinner with my chick. after it started up and I drove away not even a minute later it stalled out . I pulled over started it up it ran for like 5 seconds then sputtered out again. The time it ran for rapidly decreased untell it reached the point that it didn't start at all . I could suck fuel from the tank . I put gas in the carb it started then died soon after also the fuel filter is brand new . I have not a clue whats up I just bought the Car last week and know nothing about 2002s. It has I think 143 miles on it considering the miles gauge say 43 on it I'm the second owner and I'm assuming it turned over . I would love some help I'm 23 and can't afford to take it to the rip off dealers . I'm going to hook up a rigged fuel source to the carb to rule that out tomorrow hopefully that goes well. Please let me know it you have any ideas

Issue is most likely with ignition system

Distributor cap contacts defective

Defective condenser

Breaker point burnt out or dirty

Spark plugs

Distributor rotor has defective resistor

Breaker point gap/ dwell not set properly

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

The way you described it running, only when you fed it gas would indicate a fuel feed problem.  

In addition to above, also check

*  the fuel hoses that run from the firewall to the filter, filter to pump and pump to carb.  If any of the hoses are cloth-covered, chances are they're original--they can crack and leak air/fuel and you won't notice because of the cloth covering.  Mechanical fuel pumps won't pump gas if they can pump air, so the lines between the tank and the fuel pump can't be porous.  

*  if you suspect the fuel pump isn't working, also check the pushrod that operates the pump.  It should be squared off on the end, not beveled.  If the latter, it may be too worn to operate the pump.  And if it's an aftermarket Italian pump, the pad on the pump itself has been known to wear though with the same results.  No pump action.

Let us know whatcha find...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

In addition to the above good suggestions I'd suggest removing the top section of the carb and verify that the floats in the float bowl are not hanging-up, which would not let any fuel come in from the fuel pump.  You don't say if you have a Weber carb (or, unlikely, the original Solex) so 'llI proceed as thou it's a Weber.  When you remove the top section you should find the float bowl about 2/3 full of gas. This would be a good time to check the float for the correct height.  (Go the SEARCH function in the upper, right corner of this page and after entering something like "Weber float adjustment" clic on the "This Topic" tab and when the drop-down menu shows go to "Google". 

Before removing the top section you'll want to disconnect the choke linkage on the passenger side.  There's a very small e-clip keeping the linkage together.  I put a shop rag under that section to catch the clip when it inevitably goes flying somewhere.  There's a reason it's called, by some, a "Jesus clip", as in "Jesus, where did that little thing go?"

Bob Napier

'75 2002A

'76 2002A

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I got her running again! I just made a gravity fuel source to the carb everything ran great except the fuel pump .funny thing I just whacked the fuel pump with a wrench and it started working again unfortunately spraying gas all over the engine . I really appreciate all the support this forum has given me.if I run into any future problems I for sure will post them up . also for the record I do have a weber carb! Thanks again -Nick

Needs a new fuel pump if you ask me.  If you start it cold and it runs fine, but then dies shortly after starting it when the engine is warm, that's a good indication.  $90.00 for a new one, simple install.

Next time it happens, try cooling off the fuel pump with ice in a towel- if it runs after that, you'll know for sure.

• 1 month later...

I'm in a similar position. Bought a 1974 02 base model with automatic (a concession made to my wife). I've owned it for a month and haven't driven it very much, but each time it started and ran without any problem... Until I went on a 20 mile lunch drive at ~55mph yesterday and the engine simply stopped running while on the highway. I poured a little gas into the carb and turned the ignition and it started right up. As soon as that gas was gone, the car died again. Thank you Progressive for the towing coverage for $3. The fuel gauge indicates the tank is between 1/3-1/2 full. I poured an extra 2 gallons in for good measure, waited overnight and then tried this morning. No start. Sprayed carb cleaner into the carb, started right up. Promptly died again. Noticed there's no fuel in the little clear filter between the firewall and pump. 

Here's what I'm planning to do:

- Find my mighty-pump and see if I can draw fuel from the tank to the filter/pump. If so, try starting again (maybe pump lost its prime). If not, then

- Replace the pump?

The comments above made me notice:

- The spark plug wires fit loosely on the plugs

- The distributor cap also sits loosely on the distributor

- I need to do some basic maintenance (i.e., pull/look at the spark plugs, check the points/rotor, check/replace fuel line, etc.)

It's a project car that is a little lower on the list than my other projects. Meanwhile, she sits waiting for attention. Any further advice will be appreciated.

Clearly you have a fuel problem. Either dirt on the fuel pickup in the tank or your fuel pump is done. Try hooking the feed side of the fuel pump to a bottle of gas and see if it sucks it up.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

I would try Steven's idea to check the fuel pump. If that is good, pull the sender out of the fuel tank with two flat blade drivers crossed against each other. There should be a screen on the bottom of the pickup. Make sure it is not blocked. Shine a flashlight in the tank and check for rust. You will probably want to get a new o-ring from your BMW dealer before putting the sender back in.

I pulled the sender unit and the screen looked good. I need to get better lighting so I can look down into the tank better, the the part of it that I did see looked okay. There might be a leak where the supply line from the sender meets the tube running to the front of the car. The crud underneath those tubes was moist. Meanwhile I still need to see if the pump is pumping.

Just out of curiosity, does the sender push gas to the pump and the pump pressurizes it? I'm wondering if the sender is bad. There wasn't any gas in the clear filter just before the pump.

post-48819-0-00389700-1433523871_thumb.j

sender does not send gas. It is a pickup tube and gas tank level measure device.

If your rubber gas lines are old its possible you have an air leak which will make the pump ineffective!

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

Your supply line is the cloth covered hose is probably original. There's a good chance it has cracks you can't see letting air to enter the system causing the pump to not pump fuel. If your pump checks out to be good, replace the line from the tank to the plastic line in the trunk. The sender metal tube is 6mm and the line is 8mm. There is a plastic sleeve for the transition that you will need to reuse.

The wires on the sender are just for the fuel gauge.

Edited by peterschop