• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Germanized License Plate

Go to solution Solved by Henning,

Here in The EverGrun State, we are required to run two plates.  The one in back looks like it belongs back there, but the front plate looks like crAp hanging out on the bumper.  IMO 

The most recent Washington plate design lacks symmetry.  The previous style had three letters and three numbers, with a hyphen in between and they had the common sense to put WASHINGTON in the middle of the top.  I do not like the off-center design... so I fixed it.  

Registration stickers are only used on the back plate now, so I gave the front plate a little trim job on the old paper cutter.  I made an 1/8" aluminum backing plate for it as well.  

129.jpg

Technically, I am sure I could get a ticket, but I'll bet I won't.  Time will tell.  I saved the piece I cut off and will keep it on board for the officer to see.  I will offer to put it back, if need be. :)  

138.jpg

I think she/he will have to agree that it looks a lot better now.  

133.jpg

I plan on trimming the aluminum corners to match the plate and may add a couple of screws in the upper corners.  Probably not though.

130.jpg

I am pretty sure it would not be legal to modify it in any way.

It feels less illegal than taking it off... so I see it as a 'compromise'  :)

I bent the top of the plate over on my Subaru five years ago and have not been called on it.

024.jpg

(notice it still has the older style symmetrical plate, but the height just did not look right)

I have a very similar subaru! Mines a POS.

Do you daily drive your '02? If not, you should look into the antique car plates. I have a Washington one and you only get one plate, which I assume means I don't need to run a front plate. Plus no annual fees of course.

Run collector plates. You really aren't supposed to daily drive with one, but you only need to run a rear plate as mentioned. You can also run a plate from your year of manufacture. I found an original WA plate with a 1972 tab.

16c73c15a724390fbd0755b3de75bfa3.jpg

Edited by Chamonix72

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

"I have a very similar subaru!"

Hi-Lo 4WD?  They rust like an 02, but run like a VW.  Light little climber that car.  

Knowing that you only need one "Antique plate" adds to my 'argument' when I get pulled over for it.

My current plates are in need of tabs every year, as in next month for another $50.  (unless I need plates, that adds another $20)

If the plates you are talking about are like these: http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/sprestored.html

With one-time fees and no annual cost after that.  No need to run a front plate, then why should I, the 'taxpaying' guy?

That is the sort of defense I will give the nice officer.  This thread is helping me compose my case.

I am serious about having the cut off piece with me, to hold up and say "see what I mean?  Looks like crap!"

Most likely the conversation will turn to the car and then I will be on my way.

Ah mine is not hi-lo, but it is 4WD

Lots of people may run classic plates on daily drivers, I think it makes your argument pretty weak though. If you don't drive it to work every day then I think you are safely in the gray zone (or in the clear). Need to be able to say with a straight face that its a pleasure ride or testing ride. Either of which you could totally be doing while running errands.

I took my car with classic plates to DC for 3 years without a problem, but I rarely drove it as I could commute by bike or transit. 

I don't have a retro plate on it because when I signed up they just sent me a new plate, I have one I want to swap on at some point though.

"I have a very similar subaru!"

Hi-Lo 4WD?  They rust like an 02, but run like a VW.  Light little climber that car.  

Knowing that you only need one "Antique plate" adds to my 'argument' when I get pulled over for it.

My current plates are in need of tabs every year, as in next month for another $50.  (unless I need plates, that adds another $20)

If the plates you are talking about are like these: http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/sprestored.html

With one-time fees and no annual cost after that.  No need to run a front plate, then why should I, the 'taxpaying' guy?

That is the sort of defense I will give the nice officer.  This thread is helping me compose my case.

I am serious about having the cut off piece with me, to hold up and say "see what I mean?  Looks like crap!"

Most likely the conversation will turn to the car and then I will be on my way.

Do you daily drive your '02? If not, you should look into the antique car plates. I have a Washington one and you only get one plate, which I assume means I don't need to run a front plate. Plus no annual fees of course.

Good info! My car came with a collector plate and I've always been a little paranoid about not having a front plate. I didn't realize you only get one. Now I can worry about other things. :)

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

Good info! My car came with a collector plate and I've always been a little paranoid about not having a front plate. I didn't realize you only get one. Now I can worry about other things. :)

I haven't been able to confirm it was supposed to be that way but that is all I got. I asked at the auditor's office last time I was there for another car and none of them had any idea.

Shiney new plates look out of place on my car... just like shiney roundels did.

I like the notion of running vintage 1976 Washington plates.

I would technically only have to run one in back, so I could Germanize the front and not get a ticket.

This turned into more of a discussion than I anticipated, but may be good timing, as my tabs expire in a few weeks.

The plates used in 76 continued through a lot of years, so they should be easy to find.  They did not print the year on the plate in wA then.

This plate is typical of the 76 style, only slightly newer, without the raised 'washigton' letters.

003.jpg

Some things to consider-- ticket for trimming plate, not too worried about it -- saving money with collectors/vintage plates, limited use required.

I have driven my car ten thousand miles since I repaired and reset the OdOmeter in July 2012.

I do not drive daily; but I choose to use the 2002 whenever I can.

This is mostly a question of cosmetics, with a hint of 'legality'

I am happy with the visual progress and will look into alternative options before April 5th.

Thank you for the suggestions.  

I do like the bolder vintage green script on the green car.

001.jpg

okay this is weird, i have a '76 Mintgrün 02 and a Subaru wagon too (albeit a Liberty RS Turbo one) but thats still pretty weird.

you have great taste sir!

I'm tossing up on the Euro plates we can get in Australia, or reprints of the period correct Australian B&W plates that ranged up until 1980 or so. We have a lot of options for registration plate styles here.

post-42446-0-62860100-1426391796_thumb.p

Shiney new plates look out of place on my car... just like shiney roundels did.

I like the notion of running vintage 1976 Washington plates.

I would technically only have to run one in back, so I could Germanize the front and not get a ticket.

This turned into more of a discussion than I anticipated, but may be good timing, as my tabs expire in a few weeks.

The plates used in 76 continued through a lot of years, so they should be easy to find.  They did not print the year on the plate in wA then.

This plate is typical of the 76 style, only slightly newer, without the raised 'washigton' letters.

003.jpg

Some things to consider-- ticket for trimming plate, not too worried about it -- saving money with collectors/vintage plates, limited use required.

I have driven my car ten thousand miles since I repaired and reset the OdOmeter in July 2012.

I do not drive daily; but I choose to use the 2002 whenever I can.

This is mostly a question of cosmetics, with a hint of 'legality'

I am happy with the visual progress and will look into alternative options before April 5th.

Thank you for the suggestions.  

I do like the bolder vintage green script on the green car.

001.jpg

That plate isn't symmetrical, either. Just sayin'...

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel