• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Return Fuel Line Help

gfairchild

You can make one:  get some steel tubing of the desired diameter, then route underneath the car, keeping it tucked up against the frame rails.

Or lift the carpet and run the tubing through the passenger compartment alongside the original plastic.  I just had this done by a shop in Ontario, CA

Cheers,

Carl

25.png

Looks like item 13 above, but can't find the part number

I think you are right but it is NLA.

Hard line? I would email Blunt first. He'll either have it or know which direction to point you in. Super helpful.

Not the hard line.  I am looking for the somewhat clear plastic line that runs through the passenger side cabin to the engine compartment.

Be sure you use the correct SPECIAL plastic line, which is self-sealing, in case of fire.

VERY Important!!!!

This is something you DO NOT WANT to replace with metal line.

-Bob

-Bob
(current: 1972 Malaga 2002, VIN 2584644, build date July 26, 1972)

Previous: 1973 Sahara 2002 #2585896 (RIP), 1969 1600, 1971 2002, 1964 Triumph Herald convertible, 1965 Triumph Herald convertible, 1961 Triumph TR3A, 1967 Triumph TR4A-irs, 1959 Austin Healey 100/6, and about 10 other cars (most of which were quite boring)...

RAS,

Please, I would very much like to know why metal line is a poor choice for the fuel return line.  This is all new info to me.

My reasoning for metal:  the fuel delivery line from the fuel pump to the KF is metal and rubber.  And that fuel is under high pressure.

Why would the return line be different ??  Simply because of the routing through the passenger compartment ??  Or is there something more beyond that ??

In terms of safety: if you get a fire under the hood, at some point all that rubber hose is going to melt away and you'll not get any return line flow through the passenger compartment anyway, be it plastic or metal.

Cheers,

Carl

I'm confused on this one.  There never was a return line routed thru the car by BMW.   The blue plastic line is a vent/vapor line.  The return lines were metal and routed under the car and it IS under some pressure because fluids won't flow unless the inlet pressure is higher than the outlet pressure and the tank is at atmospheric pressure.

Edit: I had my colors mixed up.  Clear - fuel, blue - vapor

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

gfairchild was actually looking for the plastic line that is routed thru the cabin.

" Not the hard line. I am looking for the somewhat clear plastic line that runs through the passenger side cabin to the engine compartment"

Gave him link on my reply (post #9) and later he replied ordering it from Blunt in the following link/topic.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/158719-special-plastic-fuel-line-when-to-replace/

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10