• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Box Install

sratner

Hi- I'm getting ready to install a rebuilt steering box in a '74 2002. Does anyone have any tips on the install? There's a pitman arm already installed on the rebuilt box. Looks like swaping out should be a couple of bolts. Just wanted to get some advice from someone that has done this before.

Thanks. -Steve

Did you take the opportunity to reinforce the motor mount while it the box is out?

There should be a spring or a strap that connects the two sides of the steering guibo/flex coupler. Ensure that gets reinstalled, they say it completes the ground for your horn.

Also, the pinch bolt passes through the indention in the splined shaft

horncouplergroundspring.jpg

steeringcoupler9.jpg

steeringcoupler6.jpg

Edited by BillWilliams

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

The box fits onto the subframe collars (nubs) to ensure proper placement. Make sure to align the box correctly on the collars and evenly tighten the mounting bolts. Refer to the FAQ torque listing for the correct value. If the box is worn out (little to no threads left on the top adjuster bolt), the pivot nut may contact the left control arm.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

It is not just three bolts. ......

Steering coupler moved up the shaft (replace if you don't know how old it is)

Entire center link must be dropped. .... both sides. If it has been there a while, good chance it will get damaged upon removal. (Again, good time to replace)

2xM3

I found one of these to be helpful when dealing with the center link.  I grabbed one at the near by Napa, for convenience.  I will be going back in there to seal up my box as well.

71FALsoWCYL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Wilmar-W83022-Ball-Joint-Separator/dp/B002KS17N4/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1410020214&sr=1-2&keywords=ball+joint+separator+tool

Thanks. I really appreciate the tips and advice. I'm planning to make the switch next weekend. I'll let you know how I make out. Today I replaced an Ansa exhaust that I had installed on the car back in 1982. The only reason it needed replacement was because the hanging brackets had broken off.

Thanks again for the help. -Steve

I just installed my box/column a few months ago, and the splined collars that attach to the rag joint/guibo were different. One HAD to go on the steering box and the other HAD to go on the column's shaft in order to bolt up correctly The splines were the same, but bolting it together there was an issue. Sorry I don't remember exactly what the problem was, it may have been the bolt that passes through one collar, but just keep the collars on the correct side of the guibo snd you won't have to do it twice like I did. Getting those collars off can be a royal pain.

'76 Inca, restored to a roundie

• 8 months later...

I'm getting ready to replace my steering box on my 74 tii.  Reading this thread it sounds like more of  PIA than I had originally thought.  I've tried searching, but is there a step by step process documented somewhere on the forum?  Any direction is appreciated.  -thx

1974 2002 Malaga tii (Maggie): Work in progress, daily driver

• 6 months later...

Just installed one, seemed to go in smoothly BUT, it turns sharper right than left, is there a trick to center box before installing?

Current: nada

Sold: 1974 Inka 2002tii ($15,500), 1974 Polaris 2002tii ($8k), 1975 Polaris 2002 ($1,800), 1973 Colorado 2002 ($10k), 1967 Sahara 1600 ($11,500), F10 //M5 ($42k), E60 //M5 ($15,500)

Classic Car Scrapper: https://petroljunky.com

It's the steering box that needs to be centered. I wish it was exactly 4x 360 degree turns lock to lock but it's about 15 degrees from a full 1440 degrees

Current: nada

Sold: 1974 Inka 2002tii ($15,500), 1974 Polaris 2002tii ($8k), 1975 Polaris 2002 ($1,800), 1973 Colorado 2002 ($10k), 1967 Sahara 1600 ($11,500), F10 //M5 ($42k), E60 //M5 ($15,500)

Classic Car Scrapper: https://petroljunky.com