• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Engine And Carb Is This?

BeMyWay

looks like it says E21 and since the fuel pump location casting is there but it is not drilled I am guessing it is from an early 320i, 2 liter. Check the serial # on the block, it should match the VIN of the car it came from if it was not a factory replacement.

74 Golf

• 7 months later...

I changed the fluids, installed an electric fuel pump (2.5 to 4psi), and got a battery. It started, but I think the fuel pump was pushing too much gas and caused the carburetor to overload and bog.  

Can these carb be easily rebuilded?

IMG_6949_zpspoywquei.jpg

Can I easily remove the water choke connections?  I still have the mechanical choke connection.

What is a good option if this carburetor cannot be rebuilt?

Appreciate any help that you can pass my way  

Thanks

Light is seriously underrated.

The valve cover in your picture doesn't have the little bracket attachment point that E21 M10s have, but it is a late 2002 valve cover (squarelight, not roundie).  The lack of a drilled out mechanical fuel pump mounting point means the head (at least) is either from an E21 or an E30.

As was pointed out, the engine serial number and the casting nomenclature on the head itself will go a long way to identifying what you have.  Remember that US spec 80-83 E21s and all M10-equipped E30s have 1.8 liter engines, not 2 liter.

cheers

mike

I looked at the head and it does say "E21 2.0"

IMG_6948_zpskiqkncuj.jpg

I need to have the fuel pressure regulated...but I wish it was a mechanical fuel pump for simplicity.  :D

So...as multiple others have already said, find the engine block number. It's stamped into a flat, horizontal boss at the very aft end of the block, just above the business end of the starter motor (first photo below, showing VIN 2762757 and 2,0). It's probably going to be a 2-liter engine built between '68 and '79 if it's got a 2-liter head, but it's not guaranteed. It may be a factory match with the E21 head, or it may be from an entirely different source.

By the by, there is probably a casting date on the head: it's generally just below the "E21 2,0", almost between the #3 and #4 intake ports (second photo -- sorry it's upside down -- is an E21 2,0, dated April '76). There also may be a casting date on the engine block (although the block VIN will allow you to get the precise manufacturing date of the car) on the right -- exhaust side -- roughly below the #1 and #2 exhaust ports.

Regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-55683600-1426651399_thumb.j

post-41123-0-22010200-1426651638_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

If the engine is good, leave it in. The water choke is not a bad system so there is no need to replace it. I don't know what the plate on top of the carb means but leave it on. On the drivers side on the base of the carburetor you can find the model designation. It will say something like 32/36 DGAV. It can be rebuilt but first I would make sure your fuel pressure is under 4 psi. If you are still getting too much fuel it could be a sticking needle valve, a high float level setting or sinking floats that have absorbed fuel.

Edited by peterschop

You're making progress but still not giving us the engine number!

1.) 1571321 is a U.S. spec 1600 built during the 1970 calendar year:

http://www.bmwclasicos.com/vin.php

The above decoder doesn't tell us whether it's a '70 or '71 model for U.S. purposes, only that it was manufactured during the '70 calendar year. You can get the details by sending the VIN to BMW Archives (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com). A 2002 manufactured after July of a calendar year is generally of the following U.S. model year.

2.) The engine number is on the left (driver's) side of the block at its very rear, where it meets the bellhousing, just above where the starter inserts into the bellhousing. Flat machined boss. But your block does appear to have what conceivably could be a casting date in your photo of the right side: "5E83" or May 5, 1983. I'd still like to see a good photo of the engine number boss: it should have both the engine number and displacement, e.g., "2,0" or "1.8". That date, if it is a date, suggests a 1.8-liter engine but it could also be a replacement 2-liter block produced after the original production period for 2-liter engines.

3.) The head appears to be an October '76 casting (10 nubs out of 12 possible surrounding the year). Since it is not drilled for a mechanical pump, it was probably from an early U.S. e21 (i.e., a '77 320i).

So let's see that engine number!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Mike, what bracket are you referring too...attached is a picture from my 1982 e21.

IMG_5401_zps3528305e.jpg

I appreciate all your help...Thanks

Hmm? I sure wish more members had replied to the thread on valve cover styles!

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/163313-can-you-date-valve-covers-by-type/

You have no mounting boss for the cold idle valve but you have the gussets (webbing) where the valve cover "necks down" near its front; and I'm starting to think those reinforcing gussets may be a characteristic of e21 valve covers.

The square taillight '02s seem to have ribbed covers with the BMW roundel forward of the oil filler. I haven't yet seen where these ribbed covers having the BMW roundel AFT of the oil filler were actually used. Could these have been for 1.8 e21s while the 2.0 e21s ('77-'79) had ribbed covers with "BMW" aft of the oil filler AND the mounting boss for the cold idle valve? I sure would like to see the casting dates on a few of these covers!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Block no in the second pic on the flat spot where the starter is mounted on the engine.  See his numbers?

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/164075-help-which-5-speed-transmission-do-i-have-pics/

Thank you, eagle-eyed Jim! I was afraid I'd have to pull off my air cleaner and take some photos to illustrate the same thing!

Regards,

Steve

Block # appears to be 2762757, but third digit "6" doesn't look factory stamped. Therefore VIN check giving me error.

Buckeye,

Bingo! You've correctly read the engine number on my '73 tii (October 19, 1972); we have not yet seen BeMyWay's engine number boss. I posted mine hoping to illustrate the location for BeMyWay.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv