• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Borrani Wheels Tire Recommendation

mickem02

Thanks guys! I will try the 195/60 and wish for the best. Did some polishing on the hubcaps today and mounted my new stickers from Horizon here on the FAQ. I'm very satisfied how it turned out!

B98A7D67-A112-415E-B1D5-D158E72C20FE_zps

EBB791CE-92F0-409C-AB85-FC894012FD92_zps

50818F98-14B8-462F-BC2C-75C3391A4CFA_zps

//Micke

Hey, beautiful stickers, congratulations for caps, wheels and car !

Alex
Seventies Classic Club Trophy
www.scct.fr

BMW 1600 Alpina A0

@s99: I have made the trade to the 6,5 ones for the rear. One question though. Have you rolled your rear fenders? Mine are rolled and I hope I dont have to pull them. I think the PO have changed the rear fenders and I do not know if I can pull them if they are changed? What do you think? Are there a bigger risk of cracking if the fenders/lips are changed?

//micke

Photobucket

Maybe! Too many variables! Green Swede's 185/70s are bordering on an ever-so-slightly stretched appearance, but S99's 185/60s don't share that. Does the brand and model of tire make a material difference? I don't know. MOJOJOY's 6.5 rims look like 6.5+ but perhaps the lighting also contributes to that feeling.

Green Swede, those are 6" rims. Correct, or did you upgrade (I know you're a rim junkie, as am I)?

Steve

I haven´t been around lately so a late reply.. But yes - mine are 6". And ET17.

Needed some fender rolling up front. I rolled the rears as well, but that might not have been needed. I started with a gentle roll up front first, but that did not do it on track - where I rolled it with the bar from the jack to keep the tires intact..=)

This might also be individual, both my fenders have been replaced with non-BMW ones which might change things.

My car is lowered by about 45-50 mm with a H&R Cup kit and has a thicker sway up front and poly bushings and handles well, but in long turns on track it started cutting the tire. The tires are 185/70 Michelin Energy. On my car, 205´s surely wouldn't work.

Edited by GreenSwede

Ola Gustafson
Sweden
-------------------
1975 Taiga Euro 2002 3685483 - Weber 38/38 DGMS - Pertronix Ignitor - H&R Cup Kit - TEP headers and Simons 2" sport exhaust - 3.91 LSD.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have got the wheels back from the sandblasting and powdercoating today. I got the wheels to a small local tire shop for assembling the tires. Unfortunately the tire guy distroyed my wheels.

Edited by mickem02
Photobucket

Hi,

I have got the wheels back from the sandblasting and powdercoating today. I got the wheels to a small local tire shop for assembling the tires. Unfortunately the tire guy distroyed my wheels. such a shame, I have to do it all over again.

A good thing was that I found a other set of 6,5 inch Borranis. 2 with with date 6/74 and with date 9/76. On the later ones the numbers are also stamped on the outher flare. Never seen this before.

Micke,

I'm sorry to hear and see what your tire installer did to your beautiful rims! Shocking! I'm wondering if mounting low-profile tires on the 6.5" rims requires mounting the tires from the rear of the rim. There is a thread on this topic started within the last 6 months.

Can you please post a photo of those Borrani (CMR) stamps on the outer flare; it sounds like something I haven't seen either?

Thanks and regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Hi Steve,

Left the new ones to the sandblasting and powdercoating this morning. The guy at the powdercoat shop was great, hi will fix the destroyed ones as well without any charge.

Here is the pics:

75954632-7585-40CB-90DC-16DEB6A56FE7_zps

CA6B511D-E651-457C-85D7-6F9743997634_zps

//Micke

Edited by mickem02
Photobucket

Thanks, Micke

As you said, that's a new location for the rim data stampings! I just wanted to make certain we captured it on the forum.

I'm glad to hear your rims are on their way to recovery!

Best regards,

Steve

Nice wheels! Just curious - when the tires were mounted and balanced, did the shop have to add much weight to get them balanced? Also, those paint dots (or a sticker) are typically applied by the tire maker to indicate the tire's "high" point of radial runout. One dot should be matched the the wheel's low point of radial runout during mounting.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Wheels are not balanced yet. I would not let this dumbass that destroyed my wheels do any more harm to my poor wheels. I will take my wheels to a more wellknown workshop as soon as I have got them back from the powdercoating.

Photobucket

• 3 weeks later...

Wheels are balanced and I have mounted the rear with no issues:

25F72734-8FF1-43C0-B792-78ED5CF056D8_zps

Two issues with the front ones. First one is that my calipers (big brake) touches the balance weights. I will ask the tireshop if they could move them to the innerlip. Second one is that my centercaps do not fit on my 320 hubs. I will have to grind the center of the hub a 1 or 2 mm.

Now luck with these wheels!!

Photobucket

Wheels are balanced and I have mounted the rear with no issues:25F72734-8FF1-43C0-B792-78ED5CF056D8_zps

Two issues with the front ones. First one is that my calipers (big brake) touches the balance weights. I will ask the tireshop if they could move them to the innerlip. Second one is that my centercaps do not fit on my 320 hubs. I will have to grind the center of the hub a 1 or 2 mm.

Now luck with these wheels!!

Micke,

Sorry to hear your continuing list of fitment issues, but I -- and I'm certain many other forum members -- appreciate your sharing of these issues!

Best regards,

Steve