• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interpretation Of 2002Ti

mo02

I really try to stray from negative comments....it defeats my sole purpose in life of 'liking' cars.  

From time to time I have my own thoughts or photos that I would like to share ( I shot and developed the pic posted ).  Those other ti's look good, I like the look of small front over rider's in your post.  As much as I like the injected cars (mechanical or electronic), there is a certain look, smell, and feel of carbs that make the ti a very special car.

Cheers,

MF

73 sunroof 2002 (past)  |  73 CSi (present)  |  FAQ Member #2538

2002 decals (mofaraz.com)     |     eBay

Thanks!

I've been working feverishly to complete a 5 speed and 3.91 LSD swap these last few weeks in preparation for Mid Am. Reworked the distributer and it runs sooooo well now. Replaced a brake booster on Saturday (glad it decided to fail with enough time for me to source a replacement on Parts Geek .com) and got new 195/50 Yoko S-Drives all around. It drives sooooo smoothly now and sticks like glue. Shoulda bought tires long time ago.

Here's a picture of the best part... Solex DDHs with original velocity stacks.

post-42878-0-58688900-1398097773_thumb.j

I run Uni Filters with their 15 degree angled mounts, no interference with the standard booster or battery. (some day I'll have a Tii booster)

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Thanks, y'all, I am very wound up about my car and can't wait to show it off at Mid Am.

It's not quite as clean as pics make it out to be, but sooooon, she'll have a proper paint job. Right now it's Manila over Sahara and is a good 10-footer... I found a friend with a paint booth and the skills, so hopefully, this summer we'll strip it, fix it and spray it.

I never put it in the stance thread, but it's pretty easy to replicate.

15x6" Panasports with 195/50 Yokohama S Drives (just ditched the 205/50s in the rear)

Rear fenders rolled ( and still the 205/50s rubbed a bit)probably coulda rolled them a little more for clearance... and I may go back to the 205 at some point.

Stock springs are cut about 1/2- 2/3 coil ( just cut a 1/4 coil at a time till you like it) Rears have 3 dot spacers.

Bilstein Sports all around

ST sway bar in front with all new rubber bushings (really need the rear ST bar....again, soooooon )

It rides firm but not harsh. The new tires really improved the ride quality. I had some very worn out BFG Super Sports. It is very well behaved now.

Here's a good stance pic from last year before the Ti cloning started

post-42878-0-24410400-1398116717_thumb.j

If you were wondering...

Engine stats:

292 grind

long tube header

Freshly rebuilt Solex 40DDH carbs with UNI filters (Manifolds and ports were polished)

Stock, Ti 90 degree mechanical fuel pump (works great)

Stock, Ti linkage ( very smooth and a light return spring)

Tii distributer with Hot Spark igniter and Red coil ( had an original Ti dizzy, but need to get it rebuilt, as the springs are sloppy)

Lightened flywheel from Miller's Mule Machine in Katy, Texas

It runs great, quietly idles at 900 rpm all day and roars when it's pulling hard thru the midrange. TONS of torque.

I think its time to make some friends down at the show....and I also like the B&W pic.  As for condition, I have found that owners like their cars no matter how good or bad they truly are....so enjoy the time spent behind the wheel.

Cheers,

MF

73 sunroof 2002 (past)  |  73 CSi (present)  |  FAQ Member #2538

2002 decals (mofaraz.com)     |     eBay

Thanks, y'all, I am very wound up about my car and can't wait to show it off at Mid Am.

It's not quite as clean as pics make it out to be, but sooooon, she'll have a proper paint job. Right now it's Manila over Sahara and is a good 10-footer... I found a friend with a paint booth and the skills, so hopefully, this summer we'll strip it, fix it and spray it.

I never put it in the stance thread, but it's pretty easy to replicate.

15x6" Panasports with 195/50 Yokohama S Drives (just ditched the 205/50s in the rear)

Rear fenders rolled ( and still the 205/50s rubbed a bit)probably coulda rolled them a little more for clearance... and I may go back to the 205 at some point.

Stock springs are cut about 1/2- 2/3 coil ( just cut a 1/4 coil at a time till you like it) Rears have 3 dot spacers.

Bilstein Sports all around

ST sway bar in front with all new rubber bushings (really need the rear ST bar....again, soooooon )

It rides firm but not harsh. The new tires really improved the ride quality. I had some very worn out BFG Super Sports. It is very well behaved now.

Here's a good stance pic from last year before the Ti cloning started

attachicon.gif680 '71 B&W.jpg

If you were wondering...

Engine stats:

292 grind

long tube header

Freshly rebuilt Solex 40DDH carbs with UNI filters (Manifolds and ports were polished)

Stock, Ti 90 degree mechanical fuel pump (works great)

Stock, Ti linkage ( very smooth and a light return spring)

Tii distributer with Hot Spark igniter and Red coil ( had an original Ti dizzy, but need to get it rebuilt, as the springs are sloppy)

Lightened flywheel from Miller's Mule Machine in Katy, Texas

It runs great, quietly idles at 900 rpm all day and roars when it's pulling hard thru the midrange. TONS of torque.

would you please share your jetting on the Solex DDH's?

are they the aluminum bodied Solex's or the Zinc diecast ones?  a 900RPM idle is a wonderful thing.  obviously, you have these dialed in.  If i'm not mistaken, there are no provision for air correctors on these carbs.  Where do you source your jets?

thanks in advance.  wish you were closer.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Hey Jerry,

These carbs are a puzzle...both are CLEARLY stamped, DDHT; however, after Jurgen Ruddies and Lars hammered it into my head, they are DDHs. Somehow, somewhere along the way, someone was able to Frankenstein them. You wouldn't know it from looking, because they are not cobbled together. I have been assuming, that they are DDH carbs built on DDHT bodies from the factory... I really have no other explanation. Either way, I believe they are aluminum and not zinc (not really sure to be honest) They polish like aluminum.

post-42878-0-19634700-1398199023_thumb.j

post-42878-0-57025200-1398199073_thumb.j

I bought them from Conner Elkington with manifolds and velocity stacks and they were in pretty good shape and almost entirely complete.

I bought the rebuild kits off eBay (they shipped out of Germany) but the kit didn't include the starter disc diaphragms... I had them specially made by Vintage Werks out of Idaho.(specialize in old VWs) The starter discs now work beautifully.

Jetting when I got them was straight out of the Alpina and BMW playbooks:

http://www.02-club.de/technik/solex.htm

40mm choke

110 main (for the European smog testing)

90 air corrector

40/60 pilot jet

This jetting was lean across the board. Idle adjustment screws were completely out (at least 3 1/2 - 4 turns) and still it lean-popped like crazy. Progression circuit had a horrible stumble, as well. Mid range was okay, but ran out of steam about 5800rpm and it leaned out (unfortunately I can not find a different air corrector)

Finding Main Jets was easy thru the Alfa guy on eBay; however, his air correctors and pilot jets were incorrect and wouldn't fit.

I went to a 120 main and that improved WOT, but not completely. FINALLY, I found Ruddies-Berlin and they had just about all the jets and parts I needed.

http://www.ruddies-berlin.de/40DDH.htm

For those who verstehen nicht so gut, Google Translate is your friend here...

They only take wire transfers, which is kind of a PITA, but they had the parts I couldn't find anywhere else. Using Google-Translate, Jurgen and I were able to sort out my tune and he just sent the jets to me with an invoice...Who does THAT anymore?? He was a huge help.

The current jetting is:

130 Mains

90 Air Correctors ( can't find a bigger one)

55/90 Pilot Jets (idle screws out about 2 1/2 turns with just a wee-bit of idle speed screw input)

I run a Tii dizzy with a Hot Spark igniter and red coil along with a 85amp alternator. Timing is 25 degrees at about 2300...or thereabouts. I was running an original Ti dizzy, but I came to realize it needs to be rebuilt as it was advancing waaaayyy too soon.

I have been struggling with a few vacuum leaks, most notably was a failing brake booster that was driving me nuts at stop lights and the idle would go to hell... I recently replaced that booster and now she idles like a dream.

Power is now strong from idle, smooth thru progression circuit and hell-for-leather to redline. It really roars from about 3500-5800. ...such a beautiful sound :)

A few last thoughts about these carbs...they seem to me to be the best of all worlds.

The mains are accessible from the top (jet changes happen in mere minutes)

They have vacuum ports for each venturi, so attaching a synch device like a Carb Tune is gravy... Synching them has been the easiest part of tuning them!

Fuel level is easily adjusted from the top as well by screwing in, or out, the fuel line input (needle valve). This adjustment has solved most of my lean-out at WOT at max rpms. This setting is only takes 1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time to make a noticeable difference. Too rich and it bogs after deceleration, too lean and it stumbles at the high end.

Having a WBO2 sensor would help tremendously, but I have had to go thru this using old school techniques of plug color and power testing.

Lastly, I have some throttle shaft vacuum leaks and will likely send them out to be re-bushed at some point... but not until it becomes a huge PITA. Right now I have glopped some axle grease on the shafts and it seems to really help! It ain't pretty, but it works for now :)

Feel free to send me an email if you wanna talk more about them!

Ed,

seems like the recommended closer look on the dizzy might have been helpful in the end, yes?

DDHs and DDHTs are zinc, the later ADDHEs were switched to aluminium. Official Solex letter on that issue:

post-36854-0-29590100-1398634923_thumb.j

Regards, Lars.

Edited by LarsAlpina

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

You are correct, Lars!

I removed the old Ti distributer and replaced the burned out igniter in the Ireland dizzy with a Hot Spark unit. All of my idle and low-end stumbling/poor performance went away. The engine runs BEAUTIFULLY now. The engine starts with just a touch of the key and idles so well. Instant response at low-end and pulls hard through the progression circuit and up to redline.

I drove almost 1500 miles this weekend going to the Mid America Fest. I was routinely marking 24.9 mpg driving 75-85 mph! (with a 5 speed and 3.91 diff) I'd say that is pretty darn good for side drafts!

Unfortunately, the IE dizzy spews oil out the top of the flange housing, despite a new O-ring. Firewall is coated with oil and it drips all down onto my header and smokes like crazy... very nice.

I'll probably send my original Ti distributer out to be rebuilt with a proper curve for my carbs and solve all my problems.

Ed Z

Ed, having inspected it pretty closely,I'd have to say your '02 is a pretty appropriate tribute to a "ti" but I don't think an original ti ever came CLOSE to running like your car does!

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©