• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mahle 10:1 Pistons Found For 121 Head

I'm coming over to your place and stealing them from you right now.  So you'd better buy them before I get there.

Figure that your alternative right now is either MaxSil or a forged piston.  The MaxSil's haven't been getting terrible

reviews, but they're not Mahle or KS.  Are they $400 now?

A set of forged pistons is what, $800, now, so that's the top end of what you should pay.

So there's a range!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Good find!  There hasn't been any listed on eBay, or anywhere else for that matter, for decades. 

If you can get 'em for less than $1000, I think you're stealing them.

Go for it!. ...................... Oh, and please tell us where one of us can buy the second set you don't want. tia.

mac.

Mac...I beg to differ...type "Mahle 2002Tii" on eBay..."buy it now" for $639.00 for 4 pistons with free shipping...let me know if these are not the real deal...

Attn: hanksjim 1:

Just spent 45 minutes on the phone with some of my old gang at MAHLE trying to identify the eBay "MAHLE" PISTONS. 

THEY AIN'T !  NO WAY.  NO HOW.

Not an old MAHLE p/n nor a superceeded/current

MAHLE p/n. 

Oops.  Somebody is messin with ya.

Probably a copy by an unidentified manufacturer.  Definitely NOT sealed Power nor Clevite.  Somebody else. ???

If you want MAHLE 10:1 for a 121 head, you're looking for p/n 081 92 02 or 03(3rd oversize).

mac.

Like these. 

post-39876-0-27846800-1395431600_thumb.j

Thanks Guys , good information here as always. These are NOS at a supplier my mechanic uses. Just got luckly but we will see if they actually arrive without the oh no we made a mistake and don't actually have them. Toby sending you the info of the supplier. Thanks for your help.

Girt

Thanks Guys , good information here as always. These are NOS at a supplier my mechanic uses. Just got luckly but we will see if they actually arrive without the oh no we made a mistake and don't actually have them. Toby sending you the info of the supplier. Thanks for your help.

Girt

Good luck. When i was sourcing parts for my rebuild i ran into the "oops we dont have that... It is on indefinate backorder" countless times with pistons and an oil pump. Finally got a new oil pump from bavauto for a steal (others new the rarity are charged accordingly) and got pistons from IE.

1973 2002Tii (Pacific Blue)

1984 911 3.2 Carrera (Platnum Metallic)

2009 328xi (Black Sapphire Metallic)

2010 Mazda Speed3 (Black Metallic)

What exactly is the rare point on those pistons Girt mentions? Their big diameter?

Regards, Lars.

Edited by LarsAlpina

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Lars:

They're rare 'cause BMW equipped only the EURO Tii's (with 121 heads) with 10:1 compression pistons. Allegedly resulting in producing 147hp.  They were dropped when the "smog head" E12 was manufactured and the Hp output dropped to ~130hp.  All USA spec Tii's had 9.0:1 pistons. 

Lots of owners want more hp.   Wouldn't you like to have a '72 Tii/Ti/02 with 147hp?   Original and STOCK.  

Besides, MAHLE has spent million$ designing and manufacturing what they feel is the best piston for the job.  Lots of people agree.  Quality. 

Your very good machinist will be impressed with your approach to an engine rebuild if you hand 'em a set of MAHLEs to install.  Try it.

mac.  

THX for answer mac,

I like Mahles but more the 89P15 Alpina hemi type.

We´re speaking about those pistons I bought two new sets last year in France, yes?

post-36854-0-95627900-1395503472_thumb.j

Those were 89,21s which diameter isn´t available at BMW anymore. But if I look up in the online shop of BMW Classic it still lists the 89,48s as available (you gotta select NK 2000tii as car, for 2002tii they´re not in the list).

Don´t know if you will really get some on order - in 99% of cases items listed with a price will arrive at your dealer, but only short time ago I/we found out the turbo front air dam isn´t available although still listed with a price.

post-36854-0-37003100-1395503496_thumb.j

90something diameter not available at BMW and I´ve never seen them that big in any old BMW list from the 70s. Is that diameter aftermarket only?

Regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.