• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tip: Cheap Bolt Source

bnam

Go to Harbor Freight and get a set of crow's feet open end attachments - better yet 3/8 and 1/2 sets. They attach to your torque wrench and get you into those places; like intake and exhaust manifold nuts, etc. There is a formula for adjusting the torque setting for the added length.  There were some other spec sheet references in "torque values for water pump". As an aside, its not that I'm too lazy to look it up for posters, but I assume if they're asking, they may need all the values. In some cases, the values aren't on the sheets, and that's different.

Edited by Hans

Try your local Ace Hardware store or other regional little box stores.  Ace carries a big selection of metric fastners ranging up to 12.9 strength.

Thanks Bnam for the tread and resulting others .02 cents for their bolt sources.  At 645p on Friday I read the inputs and was ready to order the 2 M10 hex socket online.  I saw mention of a Fastnerall store, remembered the local ace store.  Arrived at store 4 minutes before closing time and  tossed the 1 remaining sample bolt to the expert who found 2 replacements in stock.  Price for 2 including lock washers, $2.71.  By 800p the shifter platform was reattached to the 5spd and but didn't have to look far for other issues underneath the tii.

Side note: recently paid $68 to getbmparts.com for 24 exhaust manifolds fastners for my e36.  Other sources wanted $4 per item x 24. Use this source if you have the bmw part number.

74 tii, vin 2780001, Sahara, 5 spd. Built 10/17/73, delivered to BMW internal car pool, 11/14/73. Imported to US ??/??/??.

Grainger, McMaster Carr and Maryland Metric are all online places I've used.

For local stores here in the Seattle area there's Tacoma Screw and Stoneway Hardware.

I like the selection of Stoneway, various grades and pitches, metric washers, stainless, copper, etc.

If I need an OEM item I'll give Rob at 2002 Haus a call.

Colin K.

Malaga '72 tii