• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Center Bearing Mount Question

bnam

I had sent the driveshaft from my 74tii to IE for shortening and rebuild.  During shipment back to me, the mounting ears of the CSB got bent back towards the circumference of the csb support.  IE will take it back and replace it, but I was wondering if it was ok to just straighten out the flanges and use it.

Byas

Unless my eyesight is totally failing me, that CSB looks like an old one due to the grease.

To answer your original question, the ears/tabs look like you could easily bend them back straight.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

You may have to do a final straightening/bending when you align the flanges at the guibo.  I did or otherwise the center bearing mounting bolts would have been too short with the shims to get the alignment right.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Jim,

No grease on the CSB - it is a new part.  However, the wooden "support" used by DLS is a better way for ensuring the ears stay straight. Perhaps IE should use something similar.

I'll try to straighten the ears.  If not satisfied, I'll send it back to IE.

Byas

Jim, small word of warning, your center bearing appears to be a Uro/MTC piece, I'd keep a close eye on it.

Andrew- will keep a close eye on it. So far, so good after about 3 years, two AutoX and one track session. I crawl under the car on a regular basis, especially after my MTC guibo failure, pics were from the original 5 speed swap in 2010.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"