More Engine Woes...

Parkertii

Bummer, sorry to see. I have one 89.47 piston of that type, but it's too large for you. I also have a set of 90mm E12 9.5:1 pistons (cast, IE) in excellent shape, but then you'd have to bore the block. You could probably get away with squaring off that broken edge and running as is (race pistons have even shorter skirts than what you would be left with), but then that would throw off the balance as well. Hopefully someone will have a single piston sitting in their basement for you. --Fred

I guess he could square off all 4 the same way/weight.

:-)

Cheers,

Bummer, sorry to see. I have one 89.47 piston of that type, but it's too large for you. I also have a set of 90mm E12 9.5:1 pistons (cast, IE) in excellent shape, but then you'd have to bore the block. You could probably get away with squaring off that broken edge and running as is (race pistons have even shorter skirts than what you would be left with), but then that would throw off the balance as well. Hopefully someone will have a single piston sitting in their basement for you. --Fred

I was thinking that. Apparently there was an article in the BMW CCA Roundel some years ago on building a low-budget M10 race engine and just cutting off all the skirts. I would not go that far, but when I had a broken skirt at Watkins Glen a few years back Roy Hopkins (for those that don't know, engine builder and 3-time Targa Newfoundland winner is his 2002 with Adrienne navigating) suggested I could run it as is and be fine. However it turned out I had other internal damage (oil pump shaft broke at 7000 RPM and the nut bounced off the crankshaft all the way back and took out 3 pistons) so did a full rebuild instead. --FB