• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Picking-Up New Car

Doug Riparetti

Did the same thing in 2010, flew out and drove the Vern home. Our trip was 3100 miles from Telluride, CO to Brunswick ME, via Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park, Custer State Park, upper peninsula of Michigan to Canada. Best road trip ever.

Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park

post-38744-0-95366500-1387567417_thumb.j

Edited by adawil2002

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Now that was an AWESOME adventure.

Traffic getting to Las Angeles Airport for the guy I was buying the car from was BRUTTLE. (He was an hour late), then we had to go to Home Depot, to get bolts to replace the “Guibo”, (he called me late Thursday night, informing me that it was shot. Mind you, I am flying out of Monterey at 10:45 Friday morning, I told him that it was no problem, that I would help replace it when I got there). By the time we got to his house in “Bel Air”, and starting working on the car, it was 3:40pm. (He had only 2-jacks stands, and a floor jack, which meant we were working on our backs, with only the back of the car in the air), got everything replaced (thanks to “BMW 2002 FAQ, I went on their site and read-up on how to replace it, lucky we were both mechanically inclined), and on the road by 8:35pm last night.

Got loss getting to the freeway due to road constructions and detours (I am not familiar with the Las Angeles area, and did not bother checking directions on my Phone). Put gas in the car, found the 405 North, and proceeded home. Cruising along when panic mood kicked in, I was 200 miles into a tank of fuel, and the needle for fuel was almost touching the red line, and I’m on Hiway 46 west, with not a gas station in site. Made it to a gas station on Paso Robles, put 11.5 gallons of fuel in her, and made my way home. Rolled into my house at 1:45am, driving adventure complete, safe and sound at home.

Now, let the fun begin;

For today, valves are WAY loose, I will adjust them, remove the bumpers, remove the broken bolt from the exhaust manifold that holds down the heat shield that snapped off when I was dropping it, in order to replace the “Guibo” yesterday. Then take it for a cruise around the “Monterey Peninsula”

Very cool!  Beats surfing the internet, that's for sure.

When you get to it, though, if you used Home Despot bolts for the guibo, 

it would probably be a good idea to swap them for real driveline fasteners.

Home Despot quality will get you home in a pinch, but it's not to be trusted.

Good story!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL