• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ball Joint Puller/remover Help Please

mickem02

Hi,

which ball joint puller/remover should I use to remove the pitman arm as in the picture? I have never seen one like this before. I would like to pull the steering box for a gasket replacement. 

Thanks!

post-36270-0-34861200-1385735863_thumb.j

Edited by mickem02
Photobucket

That's one of the toughest rod ends I've ever had the (dis) pleasure to pull apart.

And they often fail, just to add insult to injury.

I have a relatively generic Old Forge puller that I wedge on there, get a bit of

pressure against it,

then whack on the side of the arm- that usually does it.

If it was mine, I would replace it while I was at it...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I purchased this tool for working on my classic mini, but have since used it on numerous other cars.  Very stout.  I use it with my electric impact wrench.   Works like a charm and does not damage anything.

post-39742-0-89700900-1385769148_thumb.j

Edited by jdeitch

1975 Polaris 2002 (RAT 02E), 1962 mini Cooper S

1994 Land Cruiser - expedition vehicle, 2012 VW Touareg TDI.
2002 restoration blog - http://rato2e.blogspot.com/

Or try harbor Freight. A pickle fork may work, but that destroys the rubber boot. You can try loosening the nut, apply PB blaster, let sit overnight, then rap both sides of the arm (the donut if you will holding the tie rod shaft) with good metal hammers.

I purchased this tool for working on my classic mini, but have since used it on numerous other cars. Very stout. I use it with my electric impact wrench. Works like a charm and does not damage anything.

+1 with this style of tool. Never failed for me on all kinds of joints on all kinds of cars. Even used it as a small puller on other things.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I second the harbor freight idea. I bought one of these like in the picture, and it is literally an amazing tool, works every time. Before that, I used heat, banging on the side of the damn thing for hours, never worked. This thing works. Just be sure to wear eye wear, and be prepared for the loud POP!

FAQ Member #126

The Old Forge I have looks very much like the Princess Auto version.

The 'two hammer smack' has also been surprisingly successful.  Counterintuitive at first...

But I've pickle- forked the ugly things off quite often.  They usually need replacing anyways.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I've not had much luck with the long style puller - too wobbly. The shorter item in the pictures above are easier to control, but I remember winding on a LOT of pressure and wondering whether the tie rod or the tool would pop first. I'd wear safety glasses and be VERY careful.

With the scissors type, you put a reasonable amount of pressure on them then a small whack. Napa also has them. If you try to torque them all the way off by just tightening the bolt, you might cross thread the thing.

Ahlem

'76 2002

'90 M3

'90 535i 5 speed

'89 325is '91 318is

'87 325is

• 1 month later...

I just want to tell you how it went. A couple of hard whacks with a hammer on the side of the pitman arm and then the balljoint popped! No puller/fork was ever needed.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers Micke

Edited by mickem02
Photobucket