• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More Power For My Rally Car...

Hmmmm....

I dunno.  I'd be looking at the wideband trace next,

just because I'm that way.  But your curves are lumpy,

and with EFI, I'd wanna make sure the A/F wasn't...

Thinking back, 140 was on the engine dyno, so your 120 at the 

wheels isn't too far off what I saw- you might be getting towards

the limit of what you can get with that compression/cam combo.

hth,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Jim, you have some valid points but is the condescension really necessary?  We're all on the same team here.

His post was either a thread hijack or a brain fart because switching dynos has nothing to do with the assumption that the intake was limiting power.  Switching dynos for a bigger number is fishing for bragging rights, not imporving the power output, so I am not the bad guy it was the dyno switch comment that was not on topic.

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Colin

What size throttle body and inlet do you have?

I have gone to a 65mm throttle body and coresponding inlet piping to open up a bit.  (no results yet as it is not complete)

Also realize that the runners, box (what is it called?) and the throttle body are all a system and just changing one is likely not to make much difference unless it is from end to end.

Dennis

Edited by zinertia

1975 BMW 2002 - Poly, coil overs, big brakes, rear IE springs, IE front/rear sway bars, turbo flares, strut braces F&R, limited slip, IE header, Recaro, stainless Magnaflo exhaust, rear spoiler, Minilites, 5 OD, etc.

I don't think your torque curve could be that lumpy just because the intake or exhaust are not optimized.  Something must be wrong with timing or the A/F ratio.  I'm not familiar with your ECU, but if you can do data logging you should do that and you won't even need a dyno for that. I would also take a look at the crank position sensor with a scope and make sure there is nothing erratic about the trigger signal. I did that once (on a lathe) before installation and found that the Hall sensor was not reliably able to resolve individual teeth on the trigger wheel. The good news is that there is great potential for improvement. Keep us informed.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

as others have said, two main things are off. Your tune isn't optimal judging by your dyno curves, and you are barely getting into the powerband of a 304. 

get us an AFR reading/ fuel table/ ignition map to look at first (data log is best!) and once confirming that all is correct, we can better help you get that little bit more (and I suspect it's hiding above 6 grand). also a 2" exhaust is definitely nearly at capacity by 6000rpm. 

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

Thanks for everybody's comments,

So far my main take aways have been,

1    The car needs a better exhaust, is anybody aware of a supplier that makes headers for a RHD car.?

2    It needs to go back on the dyno.

3    Checking the ignition trigger is a good point,  I don't have a scope but I do have a very good timing light so I guess if I ran it up until  it was fully advanced and check to see if the marks are jumping around it will give me a bit of an indication if this is an issue.

Other comments.

Just because the dyno run stopped at 5800, doesn't mean I do. I rev it to about 7500 as it's definitely where the power is.

After discussing things with my co-driver / wife changing to carbs is still an option but it would be mainly so that we change classes.

Currently we have to run as a modified historic which buts us up against historic cars with modern engines, changing to carbs puts us back in the historic class.  (Plus I need to buy a set of carbs eventually for another project so even if I change back to fuel injection, the money is not wasted)

Putting aside any issues my car may have, I guess a more general question is,

Does fuel injection with a 318 manifold have more performance potential than a set of 45 DCOE's?

(I'm well aware that I've asked a "how long is a piece of string" type question and the answer is "it depends" but I'm interested to hear opinions)

Edited by tomorrowcalling

Hi, Jaymic do headers for RHD cars

http://www.jaymic.com/shop/parts_02_products.asp?grp=02EX&page=6

No idea how good they are but may be worth investigating? Seems expensive though, maybe getting a set made here could work out better? Sorry cant help with finding power - i doubt if mine is making more than 70hp at the moment ! Going with the webers must be tempting to be able to compete in a more appropriate class though. Cheers Chris

Edited by scanner

Does fuel injection with a 318 manifold have more performance potential than a set of 45 DCOE's?

Yes, with everything else you've listed, particularly the 300 degree cam, unported head, etc.

No, if everything else is free, the 318 manifold eventually becomes a limit.

But changing classes to get in wiht like cars is always a winner...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 1 year later...

So it's been a while since I originally asked the question,

I built a set of headers for the car, for those that are interested it is a 4 into 1 with 1.5" equal length primaries  33" long into a 2.5" tail pipe.

It's a PITA to fit, I have to remove the steering column and steering box, however the car instantly went much better, particularly above  5000 rpm with the power continuing until we hit the rev limiter at 7500.

I haven't had it back on the dyno, there didn't seem much point as it went so well. We did however take 30 seconds off our stage time at one event.  Enough to go from an "also ran" to 2nd in class at that event and overall class winner for this years series.

Thanks for every bodies advice.

Thanks for the update! 

One thing I found was that, after changing the exhaust,

rejetting the carbs usually found more power, too, as the

whole thing flowed better.  And in a different way.

So if you start to want even more, a return to the tuner

might find you some.

t

• 6 months later...