• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will Be Inheriting A '76 2002

rodri9o

Hi all,

A very good friend of mine has had a few 2002's. When I worked in his shop I spent some time on it, cleaning contacts, and helping him fill the transmission, driving cars in tow back and forth and generally being around them. I discovered a few weeks a ago that this good friend of mine will be passing his '76 2002 on to me, of all people, and I'm very proud to take on its ownership when he signs it over. 

It is a '76 2002 and a little rough around the edges, but seems very good mechanically. I do not know much about it yet, but so far I've been told it has a few things that are not OEM from speaking with its current owner:

-318 head.

-aluminum pipe header.

-38/38 webber.

-more agressive cam.

-K&N filter.

-distributor seems to be rotated 180 degrees, but have yet to verify that.

-Ireland engineering springs w/ billsteins.

-13" ATS wheels that look cool as hell!

I'm not sure how the above translates into performance or reliability, but what i do know is this: from 40 -80mph, it goes like stink...gets up there fast and willingly. The motor is rough at starting, the shifting gets really smooth once the trans warms up, no knocking noises over bumps.

Cosmetically, it needs a little love: the interior is mostly there, there are a few paint bubbles around the sunroof aperture, shock towers look good, but I'm told there is rot in the spare tire well...as I mentioned, it needs 'love' (quality paint work).

At the moment I am organizing myself to store it over the winter so in the spring I can start messing with it and getting it on its way to being a nice, clean reliable little car. Some pictures are atached for your viewing pleasure. :)

So there you have it: the story. Hopefully you guys can help me source parts and share information on adjustments, and procedures. I completed a rejuvenation project on my '89 325i about 5 years ago and kept referring to a few forums for information, and my trusty Bentley manual and that got me though the thick and thin of putting the car back together from a rolling chassis, I'm hoping to have the same support here. :)...And that 325 has yet to let me down with 200,000+ miles on the clock 76,000 of which are miles I put on the car.

I also have a vintage Vespa to test my patience and make me smile and an older Japanese Motorcycle that is currently trying to find it's identity.

Good to be here, and looking forward to meet you all.

Thanks  :)

post-46016-0-26521600-1381850987_thumb.j

post-46016-0-69080800-1381850992_thumb.j

post-46016-0-46340900-1381851000_thumb.j

post-46016-0-39394600-1381851008_thumb.j

post-46016-0-32536900-1381851018_thumb.j

Edited by rodri9o

1976 BMW 2002-1989 BMW 325i-1992 Vespa PX200E-2001 GS500

Looks pretty clean! The key is to have fun! You'll enjoy your 02 a bunch if you liked your 325. Good luck and ask away with the questions! We're here to help :)

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Thanks for the replies. I am in New York, Long Island specifically. I will edit my profile as soon as I get a chance to browse this site a bit more.

The car is pretty nice and is mostly there...just need some care and some time.

I've only driven it a few times and boy, is it EVER fun!!

:)

Edited by rodri9o

FYI your interior is from an earlier car--seat shape and vinyl is the giveaway.  They look like they're in really nice shape, so don't worry about it--and the vinyl used on the roundies is much better quality than what was used on the squarelights. 

Hope you'll be able to stash the car indoors for the winter.  In one picture there's a little rust hole on the door's window sill.  Plug that with something (even duct tape) to keep water from leaking in and rusting the inside of the door.  Rear wheel arches look perfect--that's a good thing...and Taiga's a nice color too.

You're in for fun...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I'd be curious to know how one gets a rust hole of that nature. I understand corrosion developing around the window trays, where water collects and sits, but what causes a hole like that to appear in the top of a door? (Ignorant southern CA question ...)

'73 Tii - Malaga 2763751

'72 Tii - Turkis 2762380 - sold

'74 Turbo - silver 4290633 - sold

'76 Jade Green - sold

'74 Tii - Siennabraun 2781572 - sold

'76 Verona - bought new - sold

FYI your interior is from an earlier car--seat shape and vinyl is the giveaway. They look like they're in really nice shape, so don't worry about it--and the vinyl used on the roundies is much better quality than what was used on the squarelights.

Hope you'll be able to stash the car indoors for the winter. In one picture there's a little rust hole on the door's window sill. Plug that with something (even duct tape) to keep water from leaking in and rusting the inside of the door. Rear wheel arches look perfect--that's a good thing...and Taiga's a nice color too.

You're in for fun...

mike

I will be keeping the car in a shelter over the winter: I do not have a garage, so I will have to make due with a tent-style enclosure on pavers.

The interior, although nice, does not surprise me being from an earlier car: the current owner has had a '69 1600, a '74 2002, and there was a 2002 I went to pick up with him some long years ago, so there are a few interiors I will be getting with this car, and bumpers and a lot of other stuff..steering wheels, dash board, etc, etc.

I'll plug that hole with something. As far as how that hole got there, your guess is as good as mine.

I'm happy to have seemingly resolved the first issue of this car: Hard to start and then would not start after being warm. We found a leaking rubber fuel line. Replaced the existing in-line fuel filter on the hose section going to the carb, cut the line back about 2", replaced clamps and seems to have done the trick. Starts relatively well from cold and once warm, although I will be replacing the plugs, distributor cap, rotor and plug wires since they are old and show signs of wear.

:-)

Here are a few more pictures:

20131016_084045_zps374e6629.jpg

20131016_084056_zps8ba4ecd3.jpg

Is the distributor oriented correctly?

20131016_084102_zps25cf4bd7.jpg

38/38

20131016_084113_zps5a434049.jpg

20131016_084133_zpsa66f844a.jpg

Please let me know what you guys think and what you find. Speaking with the current owner, the distributor may be oriented 180 degrees from its regular position, but I believe this has a 18i head.

-how can I determine if it is in fact an 18i head?

-does anyone know what kind of exhaust manifold that is?

-is it normal for these cars to have a fuel filter coming out of the tank, and then again just before the carburetor?

-how can I find out the alternator amperage...should it be stamped somewhere or is it a teat with an electronic checker?

That looks great! Taiga is a cool color. It looks like it may have had a repaint; check it over with a magnet for any areas of thick bondo. Those would be the places to keep an eye on for rust. Plus the usual spots!

You may already know, but it appears to have a 320i radiator, and the windshield washer bottle and pump are not there. They fit on the bracket on top of the brake booster.

Enjoy- I wish my recently acquired '75 was Taiga instead of Mintgrun.

Greg J

"-how can I determine if it is in fact an 18i head?"

what are those numbers on the right side of the head in your last photo?

I just looked closely at the photo and saw what looks like a ".8i", but that looks to be on the manifold, no? I will look closer this evening.

The breather coming hose out of the valve cover has a kink which could cause crankcase pressure to build up inside engine.

That will be mended a.s.a.p.

The motor does look to sweat a little oil... I will wipe as much as possible, resolve that kink and keep an eye on the oil sweats.

That looks great! Taiga is a cool color. It looks like it may have had a repaint; check it over with a magnet for any areas of thick bondo. Those would be the places to keep an eye on for rust. Plus the usual spots!

You may already know, but it appears to have a 320i radiator, and the windshield washer bottle and pump are not there. They fit on the bracket on top of the brake booster.

Enjoy- I wish my recently acquired '75 was Taiga instead of Mintgrun.

Greg J

Wow, Greg...I was not aware it was a 320i radiator. I'm guessing that is a good thing? (hopes!!)

I did notice that the evening we were repairing the fuel filter: That slide-on style bracket. I need to get a windhield washer (WW) fluid reservoir. There was a multi-pin plug right next to it...I'm guessing that may be for the WW fluid reservoir plugs into...I'll be looking into that: it is not the immediate priority, but it is on the list.

GUYS, thanks so much for all of this information. This is a great help in just finding out what exactly the car is composed of. I was told it is not 'stock' but I, not the original owner I believe, was not aware to what degree and all of your identifications are a big big help. Thanks again, and I will keep posting on here with general questions, or creating posts with specific questions.

:)

welcome to the club buddy! Car looks very clean, and is an absolutely golden opportunity. I spent a lot more then free on my own 76, and it still has a long way to go!

I'm in Brooklyn, NY, BTW, and there are 02 guys all over the state. I know that Morfiya is in Long Island, and theres a couple more guys in brooklyn. 

Be sure to email me so we can get in touch and meet up at some point, perhaps you can come along for one of our bear mountain trips!

cheers!

David

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...