• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve Stem Seal Inspection

Andy74tii

Well all summer during the driving season, I seem to be experiencing some classic symptoms of valve stem seal failure. I tried the typical additives -- with the exception of the Lucas Oil additive that Esty recommends; may try that as a last shot. Interestingly, this engine was completely rebuilt by the late Mike Perkins down in Houston in about 2001, and my receipts indicate he did use the late style guides and seals. I now have about 68,000 miles in about 12 years on it.

Is there any way to get a visual on the condition of the seals without taking the head off and disassembling the valve train? Has anyone had the opportunity to do that?

Thanks,

Andy74tii

FAQ Member #126

The nose knows, wind er up to about 55 k, runner there for a few spirited miles, dump er in turd and let go of the throttle, the only inspection will be of the kleenex after u blow your nose, did she really stink that bad? Or i didnt notice a bit of aroma, this is good, alot easier than tryin to inspect said seals

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

No, the inspection procedure is to remove them and look at the trash can while you're throwing them in there.

Which is really a head- off job.  Do a compression and leak- down just to check on your rings-

ring seal degradation  can show similar symptoms.  

Then it turns into a 'how much do you care'? question- the seals can leak a bit for ages, and it doesn't 

seem to bother the engine nearly as much as it does the tailgaiters.....

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

then the new ones you just put on don't solve the smoke problem.  

But more importantly, you find that the valve guides have given it up.  Again.

Because they don't last all that long.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

..."is there any way

to get a visual on the condition

of the seals without taking the head off

and disassembling the valve train? = NO

oil consumption test yes

smoking during off-throttle deaccel from high rpm yes

oil deposits on spark plugs yes

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

..."is there any way

to get a visual on the condition

of the seals without taking the head off

and disassembling the valve train? = NO

oil consumption test yes

smoking during off-throttle deaccel from high rpm yes

oil deposits on spark plugs yes

+1

• 7 years later...

While fixing an oil pump issue I found the remnants of 2 valve seals in my oil pan (2 small retainer springs and bits of green seal). This is on a newly rebuilt head and I dont feel like pulling apart just as driving season starts if I don't have to.  Besides some smoke, is there any issue with waiting?   My 911 doesn't have exhaust valve seals, the builder I used there leaves them out for longevity.  Smokes on startup but clears up quick enough.