• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schnitzer 20,4 Cylinder Head

markmac

Made a speed run on my lunch hour (that I never take) over to my engine builder to get the block I painted over the weekend and front timing cover and other incidentals out of the back of my car.  Saw my cylinderhead up on a shelf and decided to take a sneak peak.  Just freshly surfaced, just a little finish work left to do in the c-chambers and another valve job and the head can go back together - a major milestone to say the least.  I-Phone photo so not the best quality......

post-38814-0-78295600-1378241052_thumb.j

www.alpinabmw2002.com

The head looks great, but the oil groove that feeds into one of the head studs looks very shallow. Is that OK?

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

Thats the cutest thing I have seen today, and the local hotties were out in force in Dunsmuir today, love those exhaust ports, any way to follow your build, hopefully it comes with sound? Bravo!

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

Good eye on the oil groove, will have to visit with engine guy on that.  No choice but to surface it, had to be done, I can assure you that as little as humanly possible was taken off of it.  Hard to say how many times it has been surfaced, but suffice to say at least a few.  I know that it was common practice to take quite a bit off the top to begin with to get the compression up.  Speaking of which, not sure what the CR is going to be here but likely north of 13.

Will be posting up more stuff on my blog as I have time to write decent stories.  Now that it is so easy to post pictures here I have had the time to throw a few things up.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

• 1 month later...

Got a call last week from engine builder, pretty much all the "goods" are in .... new pistons, carrillo rods etc.,  good chance this thing could be all back together by Christmas.....should have some good images over the next few weeks. and eventually a dyno run or two of the engine when that happens.

post-38814-0-70327300-1383438691_thumb.j

post-38814-0-71840200-1383438767_thumb.j

post-38814-0-61710800-1383438788_thumb.j

post-38814-0-72542500-1383438810_thumb.j

post-38814-0-25556800-1383438738_thumb.j

He has all my stuff on a couple of carts, crankshaft just came back from being "micropolished" + everything else.  I really wanted to get a good shot of the crank, unfortunately it was tightly wrapped in plastic.  Quirky guy, brilliant at what he does. Crap picture sorry, I was afraid to try and get through the plastic (less have my hand chopped off....).

post-38814-0-40631000-1383440281_thumb.j

...I have an M42, and it's all so... teeny.  Teeny rods, weener little bearings,  teeny valves, dinky little bore...

Not that it's a bad motor, at all, it's just... well, it's not really... hurkin'.

I have heard, though, that there is something called an S14...

heh

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Any metallurgists or QC folks on the board? I have heard that one of the former big domestic 3 (Ford?) uses and takes contract work for a MRI machine to scan complicated cast parts with internal passages. They output the whole mess to a STL file where it can then be sent off to a model shop.

If anyone has pockets deep enough I can ask around, but it would probably be cheaper to turn a 02 into a gold plated airplane.

76 '02 owned 20 years.....project for the last 13. I should probably be faster than the rust I'm chasing.

oooo.... gold plated airplane... 

Speaking of Ford, a long time ago there was a bunch of chatter about a Ford V8 that has a 100mm bore spacing.  And 4 valves.

And 4 cams....

I looked at one in the junkyard, and the head was so different (and non- conventional) that I didn't grab it.

Now I kind of wish I had.  Just for fun.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL