• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My New 5 Speed

evanb

I recently picked up a getrag 245 to swap out my auto, and while I save up for all the other necessary parts, i am trying tackle what i can now.

Ive got all the seals and the locking ring on order, they should be here any day now. Other than whats in this thread

bmw2002faq.com/topic/131907-the-ultimate-5-speed-conversion-page-for-getrag-245/

does any one have any tips/suggestions?

Im also in the process of giving it a good clean. What does everyone recommend for this? I heard brake cleaner, but i wasnt sure.

once i get it cleaned up, what needs to be re-lubricated before installation? anything else to think of during this final pre installation phase? Also, what tool is required to drain it? Can i leave it drained, or does it need to have fluid in it at all times?

Thanks guys.

post-45185-0-85402700-1374703141_thumb.j

post-45185-0-11274100-1374703148_thumb.j

post-45185-0-35527600-1374703154_thumb.j

You need a big allen wrench, 17mm I think, to drain the transmission. Fill it with Redline.

Got your revised shift plate, shift rod, pedal box, clutch, throw out bearing, flywheel, master and slave cylinders, clutch lines, new guibo, drive shaft, revised transmission bracket? You'll need a revised/fabricated bracket for the exhaust down pipe too. I swapped my automatic for a five speed this past winter, much more fun driving experience. See my blog: http://2002refurb.blogspot.com/

for some documentationand photos of my experience.

Paul

Paul, 

Awesome blog. Im sure it will become an invaluable resource when i put together all the parts. One lingering question i had was the fluid reservoir and line to the clutch master cylinder. Did you have to get a new reservoir? Or were you able to reuse the one already there? Where did you purchase the reservoir and line if you had to replace them?

Its a daunting job for my experience level, but im about 20 hours of research in, and im beginning to feel more comfortable finally. Was your swap pretty smooth?

thanks for the info!

Also, unless you know the history of the 245, consider having it rebuilt or overhauled prior to install. Don't want to do all the work, and find out it's "crunchy".

Yea, that won't cost more than a couple of thousand bucks.

Edited by allbim

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

i'd leave the oil in it until you are ready to install it and do an oil change then.

you can use most solvents to clean the casing. brake cleaner is especially good but i find the $2 cans of degreaser work well most of the time too.

Paul, 

Awesome blog. Im sure it will become an invaluable resource when i put together all the parts. One lingering question i had was the fluid reservoir and line to the clutch master cylinder. Did you have to get a new reservoir? Or were you able to reuse the one already there? Where did you purchase the reservoir and line if you had to replace them?

Its a daunting job for my experience level, but im about 20 hours of research in, and im beginning to feel more comfortable finally. Was your swap pretty smooth?

thanks for the info!

Stock reservoir is fine.  For my clutch line I just bought a new clutch line for a 320i (which is rubber and has a female end on each side, and cheap and commonly available), and a short piece of hard brake line.  I think I put the hard brake line onto the slave cylinder, and bent the hard brake line around with a bending tool so it goes into the engine bay and easily accessible.  Then just put the rubber E21 line in to connect the master and slave.

edit: oops, didn't realize you had an automatic, and were talking about that low pressure line.  You probably need a reservoir from a manual car, and some original rubber/cloth hose which you can get from a BMW dealership or Pelican Parts I think.

Edited by KFunk

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

One lingering question i had was the fluid reservoir and line to the clutch master cylinder. Did you have to get a new reservoir? Or were you able to reuse the one already there? Where did you purchase the reservoir and line if you had to replace them?

My Brake fluid reservoir had an extra "nipple" to which I could attach the clutch fluid line to the master.  I used an old reconditioned hard line from the reservoir to the master, and a new steel braided line from the master to the slave cylinder.  You can get many parts new either from your local BMW dealer or suppliers such as Ireland Engineering, Blunt, Maximillian; or many used parts can be found through the classifieds on this 2002 FAQ site, cheapest option, and only option for parts that are  "No Longer Available" new.  

haha ya Kfunk, unfortunately it is an auto, but its in great condition so it was worth it. 

Ill have to check out my fluid reservoir then, Paul, and see if it has that extra nipple. Hopefully it does so i wont have to find one somewhere.

Thanks for all the great info guys!

Don't have time for a detailed Q&A right now, but here's a detailed answer to another 5-speed question I posted a while back. The whole thread is a good read.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/112572-driveshaft-length-for-5-spd/page-2#entry149959

Cheers and Hope This Helps...

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20