• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Joined The Infamous Ranks Of Cut Springs...

Cyclone101

Been considering a little chop myself, this may give me the courage to proceed, but I do like how the car currently takes whatever bumps and such that the road throws at it, with dignity and aplomb.

its always a bit of a compromise....unless you go c/o's which allows your ht of choice, and w/ a compliant spring rate...

might as well ask this question.  For IE Stage 2 springs, will let's say cutting 1/4 coil in the front also equal a 1.4 coil in the rear to maintain "level" height??  I am pretty sure that the fronts and rears  have the same pitch but just wanted to verify this.  I'm getting to the point where I may want a slight drop, but need to see how much room I have to get into the garage since its very steep.

Beast 02- '74 2002
Beast 35- '11 135i
The Twins!!!
O=00=O

Dremels remind me of the dentist, I like a fresh hacksaw blade and a 2 minute workout

Well, if its out of the car, then a good blade is quite quick and less messy, as long as you can get the spring in the vice. But on the car... I would pay to see someone do that :)

Regards

Jacques

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...

• 2 weeks later...

When cutting springs does it matter which end gets cut?

I just cut my springs -- first timer! -- and I placed the cut end down.  Because of the coil shape, the cut end of the coil was at a higher angle than the original end.  I put the original end in the upper spring perch with fresh rubber, thinking that it would be less likely to twist on the strut insert than the cut end.   Don't know if it makes a difference, but so far so good.  Cheers.

• 3 months later...

How much are you guys cutting off stock springs, am I correct to assume one full coil so the end of the spring seats properly in the lower cup of the strut. What is the difference in height if I take off one coil.

Never did see a review of the bav auto springs has anyone tried them.

Thanks

73, tii

Usually people cut in half coils at a time, as removing the coil around the strut can be difficult.

I removed one coil on my stock springs and I get some rub on the front fender when I go over driveway curb at half lock at speed. I have to slow down almost completely to prevent it. I have un-rolled fenders and stock steelies with 165/80-13 rubber.

I would have preferred a half cut coil. I think 1 coil lowered my car about 5cm, but I am guessing.

Regards

Jacques

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
On 4/24/2014 at 5:10 AM, bigfoot said:

Thanks, do you have that alloy spacer ring removed also? If you cut half a coil how does the spring sit in the perch, I assumed you had to do a full coil so it would line up with the grove in the perch.

Bumping this old ass thread because I'm also curious about the above question. How do the spring ends sit in the perches correctly if you cut  something other than a full coil? I thought the spring pads were "keyed" up top?

1975 2002 - US Spec, Taiga Green

Nope, the top cup/cap can rotate with the strut/shaft, to align the spring with the fixed bottom end/cup.

Edit- if you were asking about the rear springs, the bottom rubber pads key into that nub and the top ones can be aligned to fit at the upper end, since there isn't a nub up there.

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
  • Like 4

• 2 years later...