I Joined The Infamous Ranks Of Cut Springs...

Cyclone101

I noticed a while ago that my 2002 was hanging lower at the right rear corner than the left by about 2 centimeters.

Last night I gathered enough courage to remove both springs to see if they are uneven in height.

Once they were removed it was clear that the one spring did indeed sag, so I thought I would swap in the springs of my 2002ti since they were just standing in the corner of the garage anyway.

It turned out that the 2002ti springs were cut 1 coil at the back, so I thought I would swap the fronts as well, as I assumed the front springs would also be cut already. Wrong again. The fronts were still the stock height, and I only found that out after I already removed the spring from my 2002, so, not wanting to have the rears lowered and not the front I opted to cut the fronts myself.

I grabbed the dremel and cut the spring out of the car 1 1/2 coil shorter, re-installed it, and cut the other one while on the car.

I have to admit, it was not easy for me to actually cut the springs. The cutting was easy, but the 'convincing myself' part was hard. My 2002 is bone stock(or was at least), and I loved it that way, but after driving it around today I will admit that I should have done this sooner!

It has MUCH less body roll, and a sharper turn-in, and only a little more bumpy. I'm sold. It works.

I will post some pictures of my lowered car tomorrow.

Regards

Jacques

ps. Here is a 'before' picture I took just after I resprayed my boot lid.post-39195-0-08795300-1374349767_thumb.j

Edited by Cyclone101

good job

No loss of any fingers and toes

perfectly ok procedure

now  - if you also have an E46 3-Series in your stable -

no need to cut your rear springs because they just break

at the bottom coil as pictured due to road salts/sand causing the

fracture.

have safe fun

E46brokenrearcoilspring.jpg

Edited by c.d.iesel

good job

No loss of any fingers and toes

perfectly ok procedure

now  - if you also have an E46 3-Series in your stable -

no need to cut your rear springs because they just break

at the bottom coil as pictured due to road salts/sand causing the

fracture.

have safe fun

E46brokenrearcoilspring.jpg

The rear springs on my wife's 2002 M-B C240 sedan broke just beyond 100K miles.  There was a loud "sproing" sound after going over low-speed bumps.  I could not see anything wrong when I crawled under the car, but the shop found the cracked/broken part down inside the trailing arm "cup".   And I thoroughly rinse the underside of my vehicles especially after the nasty winter driving season.  Maybe BMW and M-B use the same coil spring source?   

I love the handling, and it feels much more planted through quick esses, but I somehow still miss the soft and pliant ride it used to have.

The pros do very much outweigh the cons though, so I will keep it like this for now. But I was wondering how some H&R progressive springs would feel compared to stiffer linear rates? Anybody running H&Rs want to chime in?

I guess when my 2002ti is done, I would have a stiff setup in it, but keep the 2002 softer.

Regards

Jacques

I run H&R's, and went from stock to these. The change was huge for me. It never feels harsh but always feels firm. The cornering difference was huge, and I thought it was a good handleing car to begin with.I do find the front is a tad higher than I want and have thought about removing the pads, as suggested by others, but don't like the idea of metal on metal.

I removed the pads on my Bav Auto springs, and used 1/2" clear hose from tractor supply on it.  Used some grease to help force it on, got it a full turn top and bottom.  It seemed to work well, and cost me under $10 for the tubing.  I think Eurotrash has ran his for a while like this.  However, I only ran it for like 2 weeks before pulling the engine, so I can`t say anything about longevity.

-Jake