• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Joined The Infamous Ranks Of Cut Springs...

Cyclone101

I noticed a while ago that my 2002 was hanging lower at the right rear corner than the left by about 2 centimeters.

Last night I gathered enough courage to remove both springs to see if they are uneven in height.

Once they were removed it was clear that the one spring did indeed sag, so I thought I would swap in the springs of my 2002ti since they were just standing in the corner of the garage anyway.

It turned out that the 2002ti springs were cut 1 coil at the back, so I thought I would swap the fronts as well, as I assumed the front springs would also be cut already. Wrong again. The fronts were still the stock height, and I only found that out after I already removed the spring from my 2002, so, not wanting to have the rears lowered and not the front I opted to cut the fronts myself.

I grabbed the dremel and cut the spring out of the car 1 1/2 coil shorter, re-installed it, and cut the other one while on the car.

I have to admit, it was not easy for me to actually cut the springs. The cutting was easy, but the 'convincing myself' part was hard. My 2002 is bone stock(or was at least), and I loved it that way, but after driving it around today I will admit that I should have done this sooner!

It has MUCH less body roll, and a sharper turn-in, and only a little more bumpy. I'm sold. It works.

I will post some pictures of my lowered car tomorrow.

Regards

Jacques

ps. Here is a 'before' picture I took just after I resprayed my boot lid.post-39195-0-08795300-1374349767_thumb.j

Edited by Cyclone101

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...

good job

No loss of any fingers and toes

perfectly ok procedure

now  - if you also have an E46 3-Series in your stable -

no need to cut your rear springs because they just break

at the bottom coil as pictured due to road salts/sand causing the

fracture.

have safe fun

E46brokenrearcoilspring.jpg

Edited by c.d.iesel

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Not that I noticed, but I have been known to misplace things... I will do roll-call tonight. :)

Regards

Jacques

My ie stage IIs are cut in the front. I'd start at 1/4 coil. I did 1/2 cool and I had to put the spring spacers back in as it was too low. Rubbing everywhere.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Some pictures I took on my drive today. There is a lovely open road leading into farm land close to me, and a nice sunny day makes for a perfect test run.

post-39195-1374403588952_thumb.jpg

post-39195-13744036247389_thumb.jpg

good job

perfectly ok procedure

now  - if you also have an E46 3-Series in your stable -

no need to cut your rear springs because they just break

at the bottom coil as pictured due to road salts/sand causing the

fracture.

have safe fun

E46brokenrearcoilspring.jpg

The rear springs on my wife's 2002 M-B C240 sedan broke just beyond 100K miles.  There was a loud "sproing" sound after going over low-speed bumps.  I could not see anything wrong when I crawled under the car, but the shop found the cracked/broken part down inside the trailing arm "cup".   And I thoroughly rinse the underside of my vehicles especially after the nasty winter driving season.  Maybe BMW and M-B use the same coil spring source?   

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Shit, even my Korman springs are cut a half a coil in the front...  :lol:

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I love the handling, and it feels much more planted through quick esses, but I somehow still miss the soft and pliant ride it used to have.

The pros do very much outweigh the cons though, so I will keep it like this for now. But I was wondering how some H&R progressive springs would feel compared to stiffer linear rates? Anybody running H&Rs want to chime in?

I guess when my 2002ti is done, I would have a stiff setup in it, but keep the 2002 softer.

Regards

Jacques

I run H&R's, and went from stock to these. The change was huge for me. It never feels harsh but always feels firm. The cornering difference was huge, and I thought it was a good handleing car to begin with.I do find the front is a tad higher than I want and have thought about removing the pads, as suggested by others, but don't like the idea of metal on metal.

Yes, there WAS skin on my knuckles before I started the repair...

I have yet to do this or any spring cutting but from what many have said is that if you decide to take off the pads, it is a good practice to either cover the tip with a garden hose or a rubber hose of some kind.  Im like you I don't like metal to metal.  It may be a little noise possibly on big bumps/ pot holes.

Beast 02- '74 2002
Beast 35- '11 135i
The Twins!!!
O=00=O

I removed the pads on my Bav Auto springs, and used 1/2" clear hose from tractor supply on it.  Used some grease to help force it on, got it a full turn top and bottom.  It seemed to work well, and cost me under $10 for the tubing.  I think Eurotrash has ran his for a while like this.  However, I only ran it for like 2 weeks before pulling the engine, so I can`t say anything about longevity.

-Jake

`70 Black 1602 - My Beater
http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/135517-saving-a-1970-1602/

`03 GMC S10 - Fiance`s Truck/Parts Hauler