• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roof Rack For 75'

adrift

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like your work-around. :) I was talking about the feet's height, not your rack's ultimate height. I would like to find some feet that are shorter that still maintain the vintage look. All the lower ones I've found so far don't look optimal aesthetically on the '02.

There are a few options if you are willing to spend some cash. Type 1 VW racks can be modified, but they're usually a few hundred bucks used, last I checked.

I kept the price under $120, all said and done, which is why I made the Quick-N-Easy brackets work. 

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

^that rack would smoke a surfboard........unless you like a tri fold stick

When building your own rack, you have to imagine your own use. I built that one to carry lumber, lawn mowers, and other crap. If I lived near the coast and surfed, I'm sure that my design would change. Anyway, the advantage of building your own is that you control the specific design and use as well as the price.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

• 1 month later...

lilcphoto, 

Two questions for you.

One, can the newer no lock Thule 300 be fitted with locks?

Two, what size bars do you recommend for the 300? Maybe 50"?

the 300 should come with a plug that can be removed, and a core inserted to make them lock. If it doesn't even have that plug, you can sort of retrofit a locking knob to them, but I haven't seen many spare parts lying about for that stuff.

The bar length isn't based on the towers, its based on the vehicle and your needs. I had a set of 58"s that were way too long, people were hitting their heads on them. I then switched to a 50" that worked out well enough to have 2 bikes on either end and a cargo box/basket in the middle. Thats about all I need.

I actually just recently switched to the Whispbar (by yakima) and technically its a no-fit so you either order it online and install it yourself, or you can just have a reputable company install it and sign a waiver that it's a "no-fit" but the foot pack (K324) for the Whisbpar is made for a rain gutter. It's technically made for some jeeps and Land Rovers, but it definitely works. I love the system, looks great, nice and quite, and everything can be flush mounted. I paired it with an S17 through bar, but you could also do a flush bar as well (without as much versatility). If anybody is interested in that setup, I could do some measurements to find out what size Whispbar would work.

med_gallery_41531_122_34465.jpg

Daily '74 BMW 2002 w/ Dual 40's

Signature

Visit my Wheelwell to see what I've done to the car

This post got me motivated to start working on my roof rack. So into the garage for a little tinkering.......

Still haven't decided on what's next for it. Do I go with slats......oak flooring would be the least expensive. Thought about teak, that would look great but after pricing it, well, unless I find some at a real discount that's out.  Maybe even something different like aluminum!

post-39489-0-85092800-1379814349_thumb.j

post-39489-0-94926600-1379814401_thumb.j

post-39489-0-50060600-1379814409_thumb.j

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

DO you guys think one of these racks would be able to hold a 250Lb go kart?

As far as my knowledge goes, roof racks were rated at 160lbs (government standard) but I heard talk that the rain gutters are much stouter and can hold much more. The place I use to work at sells more stouter bars to hold more weight, but even then it was only 220lbs. Would I trust it? maybe if it was lumber I might be okay with 250lbs up on the roof, but not a gokart... not something that if it fails its the whole 250lbs failing.

Signature

I have a pair of very simple crossbars that clamp to the rain gutters.  They're aluminum and very light weight--made (or at least sold) by Grumman to hold a canoe.  They have soft plastic on the upper surface where it contacts whatever you're carrying.  I've never carried a canoe, but all sorts of other stuff before I bought a pickup truck:  5 drawer file cabinet, roll of carpet, antique pie safe. Christmas tree etc etc.  It would work fine for surfboards as it's wide enough to hold two side-by-side and can be mounted as close together or as far away as you wish.

mike 

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Hi all, there is the rack I have made!!!

Dud999

As nice of an idea as that skateboard is, the trick to a front fairing is to match the width of the towers. You've created a slipstream in between the skateboard fairing and the towers. Though I have to say, that is a great advertising technique.

Signature