• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Hope This Isn't A Cracked Head!!!!

jmp

I recently noticed a puff of smoke come up from under my hood but when I went to check it I couldn't see anything wrong. Then a minute later I saw a drop of oil bead up on one of the exhaust manifold nuts and drip off on to the manifold producing a new puff of smoke. It seems to happen every couple of minutes and I've just never noticed it before.

I recently had the head rebuilt and installed one of the exhaust headers from Tom at 02again but instead of using the gasket he provided (with the heat shield) I used the one that came with the head rebuild kit (4 individual gaskets). I'm worried that the new header could have overheated the head and cracked something. Alternatively, I also recently had to take the valve cover off to adjust the eccentrics and I reused the valve cover gasket. I'm hoping that the oil is leaking from there rather than lower down.

Can anyone think of alternative diagnoses or ways to test these two hypotheses with the least redundancy. I'd rather not go disassembling things that I don't need to disassemble.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Cheers,

-Jonathan

The lower exhaust manifold studs run right into the head and the oil system and the and its very common to have a leak from the manifold studs. Remove the studs, clean the threads and use loctite to stop it leaking again.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

The lower exhaust manifold studs run right into the head and the oil system and the and its very common to have a leak from the manifold studs. Remove the studs, clean the threads and use loctite to stop it leaking again.

What Steven said. BTDT.

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Actually it's the top studs that go through into the cam,rocker,valve spring area in the head, Pull the studs and Loctite them in the head. Then once you put the manifold back on tighten the nuts drive it a few times and re-check the nuts (the gaskets compress and you need to retorque)

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Did you notice oil discoloration (milky) when valve cover removed to adjust the valve?

Are you monitoring coolant level and its condition?

Have done oil change resently and observing used oil color?

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

Yes, it's the top studs. My 02 leaks here too...

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2