• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bigger Wheels And Tire Problem

crosson9

I many 02's with bigger than original wheels and tires on them. Why is my car chewing up the front tires so quickly? I'm sure the alignment is out, but this seems to be a bit more than that. 

I currently have 195/45 R15s on the car. I'm I missing something?

Thanks -T.J.

-T.J.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I think you are just pushing the car through turns. Especially right turns. Wrong tow will wear tires evenly. Right tire will look like left tire. Too much tow out will wear the inside edge. Too much toe in will wear the outside edge. Understeer will always wear the outside edge.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

2 tape measures, 2 long(ish) straight edges and 5 minutes will diagnose this.

It might take an hour to fix, if you're methodical and keep the steering wheel centered (which you should do)

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I was having this same issue.  I aligned my car several times without thinking it may be the tie rods.  Well they seemed fine but I bought new ones.  Took the old ones out and they were toast.  When you have bad tie rods your car will toe out when you start driving.  Will chew em up!

Edited by nbristow01

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle